PDA

View Full Version : Can I get fish now!!!?????

bluemerle030
03-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm kidding about the fish....I posted this in the cycling section but I am hoping to get more responses here (see how patient I am :hmm3grin2orange: ).... Here is where I'm at right now.

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0.2
PH 7.6

Temps is consistantly 75 degress. How am I looking folks? Any thoughts suggestions are appreciated, easy on me now I'm a newbie :help:

Ashley
03-30-2009, 11:56 AM
I would wait until the nitrite level goes down first. But I would say you're almost there. I'm only a newbie though as well, so I'm sure you will get some more help.

mommy1
03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
i believe you should have 0 of both ammonia and nitrites. have you seen any nitrates?

bluemerle030
03-30-2009, 12:04 PM
I would wait until the nitrite level goes down first. But I would say you're almost there. I'm only a newbie though as well, so I'm sure you will get some more help.

Thanks Ashley!! thumbs2:

bluemerle030
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
i believe you should have 0 of both ammonia and nitrites. have you seen any nitrates?

Hmm..my kit does not include a test for nitrate...ph,amonia,and nitrite...I know I know a master kit right? I'm going to search the net today for a master...

Sharon
03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Have you been adding an Ammonia source?

mommy1
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Hmm..my kit does not include a test for nitrate...ph,amonia,and nitrite...I know I know a master kit right? I'm going to search the net today for a master...exactly.

i could be wrong but i dont think you can really know if your tank is fully cycled without knowing if you have nitrates.

bluemerle030
03-30-2009, 12:18 PM
exactly.

i could be wrong but i dont think you can really know if your tank is fully cycled without knowing if you have nitrates.

Good enough then..I'm off to find a master kit!!! More shopping..any kind of shopping and I'm a happy girl!!! Thanks everyone!! :thumb:

Glub
03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
From what I understand of the nitrogen cycle, yes, you can tell when your tank has cycled without testing for nitrates, you just can't be certain when the water is safe for fish.

As ammonia is consumed, the nitrite levels will rise while the nitrite consuming bacteria grows, since it's slower growing bacteria you'll have a period of high nitrites. As this bacteria grows, the nitrites will drop. As nitrites are consumed they will produce nitrate. If your ammonia is being consumed and your nitrites are at 0, it's safe to say you've grown all the essential bacteria, because without the nitrospira the consumption of ammonia WILL produce nitrites that would show up on your test.

But now the problem is that you have a tank full of nitrates from the consumption of those nitrites which need removing with a water change. This is where a nitrate test comes in handy to tell you when you've changed enough water to make it safe for the fish by bringing the nitrate levels down. You could just change a bunch of water and hope for the best, but it really would be a good idea to have a test for it.

But, if the ammonia you're adding to your water is being consumed, and your nitrite levels stay at 0, you know you can at least be certain that your filter is colonized.

Mind you, if you haven't been adding ammonia, you essentially still have a tank full of tap water.

mommy1
03-30-2009, 12:32 PM
thanks for clearing that up glub.

bluemerle. have you read the ebook? its in the left hand menu. it will tell you all about cycling your tank and when its safe to get your fish.

bluemerle030
03-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Reading Mrs Hobbs cycling does not indicate adding amonia, that being said I should start from the begining so you all can have all the information, responses my hurt my feelings and be harsh but I know it's for my own good and the good of the fish I plan to home. I want to do this right.

This was an established tank that I purchased used (on March 26th), including the gravel,filter (whisper 60 and an air stone), and decorations (2). Filters were not changed meaning I kept the original filters in the whisper). After set up tap water was added using Aqua Safe to get rid of the cholrine. Approx 20 feeder fish were added 24 hrs later on the 27th(was told before I found you folks) that this would create the bacteria I needed. I was also told on this board that 20 feeder fish was way to much for my tank so I did remove (yesterday) all but three.

Brings us to today...and my post. Being that Mrs. Hobbs cycling sticky did not indicate adding amonia using the fish cycle I did not add amonia nor was I testing for it...until yesterday.

mommy1
03-30-2009, 01:32 PM
ok, i hope i didnt hurt your feelings,:11:
you did add an amonia source... the fish
this brings us back to the top, can you add more fish now,
i think glub cleared that up for you and i both. when theammonia and nitrites are down to 0 you should be cycled.

but its probably best to check for nitrates so you can know when to water change how much to change and if the water change was sufficiant.

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2009, 01:36 PM
It's explained in the cycling thread (links below). You need 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and then do a large water change (no cleaning.) You also need to keep adding ammonia until you do have 0 nitrites.

bluemerle030
03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Oh Noooo!! You didn't at all, nobody did!! lol..I just didn't want anyone handling me with kid gloves incase they thought they would...

I did just now ordered a master kit to include nitrates...15.99 not a bad price to boot :19:

I'm wondering why my amonia is at 0 and nitrites are now even higher at 0.5 and yes I have been reading the ebook...slowly..lol

ok, i hope i didnt hurt your feelings,:11:
you did add an amonia source... the fish
this brings us back to the top, can you add more fish now,
i think glub cleared that up for you and i both. when theammonia and nitrites are down to 0 you should be cycled.

but its probably best to check for nitrates so you can know when to water change how much to change and if the water change was sufficiant.

mommy1
03-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Oh Noooo!! You didn't at all, nobody did!! lol..I just didn't want anyone handling me with kid gloves incase they thought they would...

I did just now ordered a master kit to include nitrates...15.99 not a bad price to boot :19:

I'm wondering why my amonia is at 0 and nitrites are now even higher at 0.5 and yes I have been reading the ebook...slowly..lolwhew glad i didnt hurt your feelings,

$15.99 is great. mine was double that.:scry:

the cycle is 1st ammonia 2nd nitrite 3rd nitrate
so the rise in nitrite is because you have some of the bacteria needed to change the ammonia to nitrite.

as your fish continue to produce ammonia. the bacteria will continue to change it to nitrite, then eventually the nitrite will change to nitrate.
as stated in an above post, when the ammonia and nitrite both read 0 and you have nitrates the tank i should be cycled.

then YOU CAN ADD FISH!!:19:

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2009, 02:08 PM
You have not mentioned how much or how often you are adding ammonia or if you are adding it at all. How are you cycling?

If you are adding no ammonia or have no fish, you are just looking at a fish tank with water in it. Information needed before we can help.

mommy1
03-30-2009, 02:09 PM
You have not mentioned how much or how often you are adding ammonia or if you are adding it at all. How are you cycling?

If you are adding no ammonia or have no fish, you are just looking at a fish tank with water in it. Information needed before we can help.she is doing a cycle with fish

Northernguy
03-30-2009, 02:17 PM
You can take a water sample to your lfs and have them test it for now!

bluemerle030
03-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Ugh thank you NG..I had read they would do that but forgot..thanks again..

You can take a water sample to your lfs and have them test it for now!

Northernguy
03-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Anytime!:22: