PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Tank

ArmanS
02-22-2007, 03:33 AM
hello everyone, I really want to get a Saltwater tank setup, I have a 10 gallon kit for Tropical fish, and I want to get a Saltwater tank setup, can I just use my currenty fish tank, filter, heater, etc and just have to add some of the materials to make a saltwater tank? I just want it to have like 3 fish in it, but nice ones, and I am wondering what do I need to convert my 10 gallon kit to saltwater? I have some fish in my tank now, but I am thinking I will just donate those back to the fishstore. So would it be cheaper for me to buy a kit, or just convert my tank? I want it to be small 10 gallons, and be able to keep like 1 or 2 of those nemo fish, and another unique small fish.

Chrona
02-22-2007, 03:37 AM
hello everyone, I really want to get a Saltwater tank setup, I have a 10 gallon kit for Tropical fish, and I want to get a Saltwater tank setup, can I just use my currenty fish tank, filter, heater, etc and just have to add some of the materials to make a saltwater tank? I just want it to have like 3 fish in it, but nice ones, and I am wondering what do I need to convert my 10 gallon kit to saltwater? I have some fish in my tank now, but I am thinking I will just donate those back to the fishstore. So would it be cheaper for me to buy a kit, or just convert my tank? I want it to be small 10 gallons, and be able to keep like 1 or 2 of those nemo fish, and another unique small fish.

You'll want to get a better filter, first off, since most of the filters that come with the packages are terrible., and if this is your first time in saltwater, fewer fish means fewer problems, so just get 1 clownfish for now. I'm not experienced in saltwater though, so this is just what I've read. I would either do ALOT of reading or ask reptileguy/fish_whisperer on their opinions. Generally, the consensus is that the smaller your saltwater tank, the harder it is to keep, and 10g is pretty small.

ArmanS
02-22-2007, 03:45 AM
Do you think I will save money, by selling my current tank to my mom, for ~50-75$ and investing the money into a saltwater kit? How much will it cost to get a complete saltwater tank, with fish. A 10-20 gallon.

Chrona
02-22-2007, 03:55 AM
Well, going by what Fish_Whisperer suggested for a cheap, simple fish only tank:

20g tank - 50?
Undergravel filter - Don't know
Powerhead - 15
Heater - 20
Test kit - 25
Water conditioners - 10
Instant Ocean - Depends on how much you get - 20++
Hydrometer - 10
Tank bred Oscellaris Clownfish - about 15-20
Crushed coral substrate - 20?
Food - Depends on how much you get and of what kind. A good brand is Hikari, apparently.
Lighting - depends on what you want. Basic full hood is like 30 bucks. Better lighting is required if you ever want to get into corals/live rock, but costs more (60+)

ArmanS
02-22-2007, 03:58 AM
omg, I think I will just stick with a freshwater tank, and make the best setup for tropical fish, I am still on my first 10 gal, but in a few weeks I should have 50$, and I may be able to sell my tank to my mom for 50-75 and get a 29 gallon, with some nice fish :)

*Sarah*
02-22-2007, 04:00 AM
There are lots of things you can try with freshwater too, like live plants :) They are quite a challenge and add a lot of natural beauty to a tank.

Chrona
02-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Well, I'm a perfectionist, so this may just be me, but I would rather spend money on a small tank to make it really nice rather than have a larger tank that is only mediocre. Of course, if you'll be getting more money to spend on the 29g, then by all means, go for it :)

ArmanS
02-22-2007, 04:25 AM
Yeah, i think I will do what you said, work with my 10 gal and make it perfect, I have too many fish in it now, I think I just want to have guppies in my tank and live plants, i currently have only 1 toy that they swim in, and a small fake plant, I want some live plants, ^^ can anyone recomend some easy to maintain ones that look nice?

Chrona
02-22-2007, 04:33 AM
Well, first off, what kind of lighting do you have on the tank? Do you have at least 1.5 watts per gallon of water? With 50 bucks, I would invest in a good substrate (I went with cheap gravel and regretted it). That will be about 25 bucks. With the last 25, you should get a bottle of Seachem Flourish, along with some java ferns, java moss, and anubias nana. All of them will grow well under low light. Later on, you can get a bottle of Seachem Flourish Excel, which adds more usable carbon into the water.

cocoa_pleco
02-22-2007, 04:43 AM
well, here goes. Im also restarting my 10g SW tank.
Im using a perfect-a-flo ugf and 2 powerheads good for 50g.
SW tanks need powerheads since anenomes rely on current for food and to brush off debris.
SW tanks are not good for budgets. My 10g has cost 305$ total, and i got the 10g acrylic for 15 buck, the rest was equipment.

cocoa_pleco
02-22-2007, 04:44 AM
oh, AND DONT CUT YOURSELF IN THE SW TANK.

I just cut my thumb on a ugf tube, in a tank with 5 cups of seasalt.

MAJOR PAIN.

MAJOR

ArmanS
02-22-2007, 04:47 AM
i dont know how many watts my lights are, they are pretty bright, it has 2 bulbs.

cocoa_pleco
02-22-2007, 05:05 AM
delicate SW anenomes need special lights that are easily 500-1000$, but hardy ones can have regular lighting.

Chrona
02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
2 bulbs...are they incandescent? Something that looks "bright" to humans are often not bright enough for plants, since their normal source of light, the sun, has a MUCH higher intensity than that provided by some dinky bulb. Plants are a pain to grow on those, since algae tends to take over. You can give it a try though. For now, just get a rock and java fern. Use fishing line to attach the java fern to the rock until its roots grab hold. Add Flourish as instructed. If it grows decently, then you can get some other plants like anubias.