PDA

View Full Version : Good online vendor for shrimp?

DrNic
03-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for an online vendor for ghost or cherry shrimp? I want to try and add some to my guppy tank but after an 8 store search today I came to the conclusion that none of the stores around me carry them.

Any suggestions would be great.

Tips and Tricks for handling/caring for the shrimp would be helpful as well. thumbs2:

plantedlab
03-30-2009, 01:39 AM
I breed Cherry Shrimp, I have an ad in the buy/sell section if you are interested.

Cherry shrimp (neocaridina heteropoda sp."red") are easy to keep and breed in a planted tank. The guppies will eat the young shrimp unless they have good hiding places. They also do not tolerate high nitrate levels so it is best to keep them with live plants or moss. Also use either sponge filters or some type of diffused filter intake or the baby shirmp will get sucked in the filter. They will graze on most green algae, and will readily eat most flake food. I like to use a veggie or spirulina based flake. The best temp for breeding is 82F.

korith
03-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Nothing will beat the deals hobbyists on various forums and this one will give you. Also can try out aquabid.com . You may want to call around and see if any of the shops near you sell "feeder shrimp" which are usually just a variety of ghost shrimp. Around a dollar a dozen or so.

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2009, 03:18 AM
Algenco has cherry shrimp, too.

DrNic
04-10-2009, 02:56 AM
I am still looking for shrimp. PlantedLab, I'm sending you a PM tonight.

I've started seeing a lot of color variations of freshwater shrimp that appear to be different species. Are some species harder to keep than others? I'm trying to put red shrimp into my guppy tank, but would really like to put some blue shrimp into my neon tetra tank, I'm just not sure if they are any harder to keep.

Thoughts?

troy
04-12-2009, 03:04 AM
You could try here on info about different shrimp species. http://planetinverts.com/shrimp_species.html