PDA

View Full Version : floaty fish - swim bladder

nooodles
03-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi all,

One of the oranda I've had for a few months now all of a sudden started have floating issues. The water is are normal, changing 15-20% at least twice a month.. He's always liked to play at the top of the water with the bubbles that form from the filter... I feed them sinking pellets that are presoaked. I don't know whats changed...

He swims over to the corner where the filter is, then floats up behind the filter intake and floats upside down there for a while. It looks like he is having a hard time swimming down to the bottom too, so i'm pretty sure its something with the swim bladder, but what do i do to fix it?

I've tried feeding him peas before but he spits them out after chewing on them for a while... I guess I could try again but I've seen some things about adding aquarium salt to the water or an antibacterial..

What's worked for you all to cure swim bladder?

nooodles
03-29-2009, 11:10 PM
I think they're both having issues now... the other one that i've had for 6 months is now starting to do backflips...

someone help!

sawyer216
03-30-2009, 01:29 AM
I have fancy goldfish too. Because of the shape of their bodies they tend to have swimbladder issues. Mine do end up flipping upside down sometimes also. The way to solve this issue is to feed the fish shelled peas at least once a week.

I just buy a bag of frozen peas and toss about 10 in hot water and let them thaw. I then peel the skin off the peas and then toss them in the tank. This will keep their digestive tract healthy.

evesta
03-30-2009, 08:02 AM
The fact that it came on quickly is a good sign I think. Most likely constipation and gas. Stop feeding commercial food for a few days and switch to shelled frozen peas and shrimp for protein. If you feed flakes or floating pellets change to sinking ones so they aren't gulping air at the surface.

nooodles
04-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear that other people who take care of their fish have this issue too.. I was starting to feel like i was doing something wrong.

I'll try the shrimps and the peas again. They just don't seem to have a taste for it. They don't even try to eat the plants in the tank with them.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2009, 02:30 AM
Frozen,cooked peas that you smash with your fingers. Likely will not help tho. Swim bladder is more often than not a fatal condition.

nooodles
04-01-2009, 03:38 AM
So you're saying its uncurable/untreatable?

Halelorf
04-02-2009, 02:03 AM
So you're saying its uncurable/untreatable?

If the floating/sinking is caused by food in the intestines pushing against the swim bladder then peas can help clear the intestines out and should help. If the floating/sinking is the result of genetic defects of the swim bladder or internal organs then there really isn't a whole lot you can do for the fish. Try the peas as it is a very cheap remedy, and feed a little less to help keep the fish's GI clear. Make sure you get frozen peas too not canned. Canned will have extra salt and things added to them.