PDA

View Full Version : Jack dempsey too big

Nautilus291
02-21-2007, 09:59 PM
is a jack dempsey too big for a 55g tank? I was thinking aboug getting one for my 55g but Im worried that he might get too big. What do you guys think.

Severus
02-21-2007, 10:14 PM
No. You will have very limited tankmates though

KneeKickLou
02-21-2007, 10:23 PM
I did reseach on this forum and another that I am a member of and I came to the conclusion that with enough filtration and big weekly water changes you can keep a pair of dempsey's in a 55. The best way to do it would be to get 2 females or buy a few like 5 or 6 and see if you can get 2 to pair off and they return the others back to the LFS if you want a breeding pair. Here is the thread that I posted on the other forum http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=133240&highlight= and the one I did here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=3282 hope this helps

Nautilus291
02-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Well I have a firemouth right now. I was thinking of other cichlids I could put in there. I thought about a convict. I interested in getting more aggressive cichlids but I think a jack dempsey will take up all of my room. What do you suggest for tankmates with a firemouth?

Lady Hobbs
02-21-2007, 10:46 PM
You should check to see if pH agrees with other fish you add. Blue Acrara=5inches, Convicts=6 inches and Jack Dempsey=12 inches!

Nautilus291
02-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Im just trying to get together all of my possibilities. and Ive heard that convicts can hold there own against other bigger fish.

Severus
02-22-2007, 03:38 AM
Convicts are tough little guys. More aggressive than Firemouths though. Firemouths and Convicts can do well in the same water conditions ph wise. KH wise the Convicts like it a little higher.

Glasstapper
02-22-2007, 05:09 AM
Well, if you want an aggressive medium-sized cichlid, there's always the salvini. Adults are between 7 and 8 inches, and are sometimes tankmates with much larger aggressive cichlids like the jaguar cichlid. I think the reason mine was so evil was because he was with a bunch of peaceful fish and totally loved to bully them. I think a salvini would be perfect with fair opponents that hold their own like a convict and an especially aggressive firemouth.

And you know how their personalities are different from fish to fish, so if one is too wussy or too mean, try a different one and your results may be different. I think your 55 might be able to house all three as long as there are many hiding places/territory breaks. I'd also keep a divider on hand in case of emergency smack downs. Ideally, two of those cichlids would be better instead of all three, but hey....who knows with cichlids? LOL

(I also read that the femal salvini tends to be more psychotic than the male, so maybe that could be something to look more in to, and they both have amazing coloration)

cartmanis
02-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah, convicts will hold their own, tough little fella's. Heck, they constantly tried to fight me off when they were raising young lol.

Nautilus291
02-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Well I went to town today and got my new fish. I got one salvani and a convict. The convict is 2.25 inches and the salvani is around 2.5". My firemouth is only 1.5 inches And they do chase him a little bit but so far there isnt much aggression in the tank. If I have to I can always take the little firemouth back and get a bigger one.

Severus
02-23-2007, 03:27 AM
Yea, hopefully it will work out alright. You might get lucky because your Firemouth has already established territory in the tank...

reddevil6
03-17-2007, 06:17 AM
a 55G is to small prehaps a 100G

Fishguy2727
03-17-2007, 12:19 PM
A couple convicts and a firemouth are fine in a 55.

Nautilus291
03-17-2007, 04:05 PM
so far soo good. My convicts are getting ready to mate, they are digging up my fake plants and have a huge hole right next to my drift wood. The female has beautiful orangeish pink on here stomach and dorsal fin.