PDA

View Full Version : My Angels :(

*Sarah*
02-21-2007, 03:05 PM
I added 3 angels to my tank the the day before yesterday, and one of them died! No signs of disease at all. They have all been shy, hiding together in a corner, but since they're new I didn't worry about it. NOW another one looks like it may kick the bucket! My water is fine, I was very patient putting them in the tank, I took over an hour acclimating them :( What's going on? All the other fish look fine.

Chrona
02-21-2007, 03:16 PM
How long had the LFS had the angels? Is there any signs of aggression from tankmates? And do you know if the water at your house is much different from the water at the LFS?

*Sarah*
02-21-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure how long they'd had them at the store, but their shipments are on Thurs and Fri and I was in there on Monday. No aggression at all, the otehr fish just ignore the angels.
Our water is similar to the lfs since we are in the same city. Other fish that I got at the same store, Neons, are fine and doing well.

Severus
02-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Weird... the main thing i was thinking was stress. But with such a slow acclimation and being at the LFS for a few days it doesnt seem like it would be that. Hopefully your other 2 survive

KneeKickLou
02-21-2007, 03:36 PM
If they had just got them in the previous week it might be stress from being moved so offten. Its usually a good idea to let the fish settle a little at the LFS right after they get in becuase they are stressed from shipment anyways and moving them. I know its hard when you see them you want to take them home right away believe me im the same way. I would be willing to bet though that your LFS will hold the fish for you while they are getting used to where they are then in a week or so they should be good to go. I had this happen with a black ghost I got. They just got him in the day before and he look fine at the store took him home perfect water match and dead in a couple days. Good luck with the others and the LFS might offer you a replacement mine did.

Lady Hobbs
02-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Sorry you lost your angels. They may have been in a diseased tank at the store and were already ill when you got them. I generally buy mine the day they come in because of the crummy conditions at the store but you should see the way the poor things are shipped. Dozens of them in one bag.

Angels are funny. My DIL kills every angel she gets and I've never lost even one. Hard to figure out sometimes.

freshwaterfishlover
02-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Over Stocked tank.

Chrona
02-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Over Stocked tank.

The only way an overstocked tank would have killed her angelfish in that short amount of time is if ammonia levels spiked, and she said the water was fine. More than likely, it's just the stress of having to endure 2 consecutive tank changes in a short period of time.

*Sarah*
02-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Over Stocked tank.
NO, as a matter of fact, it is NOT overstocked. Not only is it a 40gal tank, it has enough filtration for a 70gal.

*Sarah*
02-21-2007, 08:39 PM
OH, and the 2nd one has passed as well. The last one left seems alright still.

Severus
02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
It almost certainly was stress or a disease they acquired during shipping/ at the LFS

freshwaterfishlover
02-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I bought 4 small angels for a 10 gallon once and in a week 1 died. I bought another to replace it and 2 weeks later one died again. Again I bought a Replacement and 1 died. That time I did not buy a replacement and 2 weeks later another one died. I only had 2 left and they lived in the tank 1 1/2-2 months till I gave them away to setup another kind of tank.

Severus
02-21-2007, 10:15 PM
I bought 4 small angels for a 10 gallon once and in a week 1 died. I bought another to replace it and 2 weeks later one died again. Again I bought a Replacement and 1 died. That time I did not buy a replacement and 2 weeks later another one died. I only had 2 left and they lived in the tank 1 1/2-2 months till I gave them away to setup another kind of tank.

Sounds like you had some bad luck there...

Chrona
02-21-2007, 10:33 PM
When I got an angel, he wasn't eating, so I turned up the temp to about 82 for a few days, and that got his metabolism kicking I guess.

Lady Hobbs
02-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Their water temp should always be 80-82.

Chrona
02-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Meh, from what I've read, 80-82 is really the upper limit of the acceptable water temp, at least in the long run. I think most sites say like 75-82, and only recommend the higher end if you have the time to feed multiple times a day, as angelfish metabolism really gets cranking when it's that high.

*Sarah*
02-22-2007, 01:00 AM
My water is at 76. Maybe I should turn it up a bit, see if it helps the last one stay alive.

Chrona
02-22-2007, 01:11 AM
My water is at 76. Maybe I should turn it up a bit, see if it helps the last one stay alive.

Is the last one eating?

*Sarah*
02-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Not that I've seen, I'm going to be really worried if it doesn't eat tonight. We're doing a water change tonight though, so we'll see how it goes.

Chrona
02-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Well, raising the temp will get it to eat, but the last guy might not make it anyways because of its weakened state :/

*Sarah*
02-22-2007, 01:19 AM
It's just so frustrating. The store only offers a 24 hr guarantee, and I've had the fish for less than 3 days :( I'm not adding anything else, whether the last angel makes it or not. The rest of the fish seem happy and well.

Severus
02-22-2007, 03:34 AM
Yea, sometimes it is best to play it safe or wait for a LONG time before adding again

86vwgti8v
03-16-2007, 07:07 PM
I bought my angels from a local breeder.
after the lady at pet smart told me that about 1 out of 10 of their angels die.
the breeder I bought my fish from told me to never buy angels from chains like that. most do die, and can even effect the rest of the tank. He told me that if you see one that you must have buy it and quarateen it for about a month.
I now have 9 angels and the only ones I ever seen die where tadpole shaped.