PDA

View Full Version : Hello there!! Just getting my feet wet

bluemerle030
03-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi everyone!!! Sooooo glad I found your forum, what a wealth of information. I just purchsed my very first "real" fish tank, 30 gal. I just started my cycling process yesterday with approx 20 feeder fish (whatever they are). I am being very very patient...oh it's so hard but I know the cycling is sooooo important. I am even enjoying watching those little fella's (pet store called them : ( disposible fish)swim around.

I can't wait to keep reading and hopefully someday I will have somethign worth posting...thumbs2:

Edited to add..this is my list so far of the fist fish I want to home...Red Wag Platy(4), Jumbo Neon Tetra's (6), Redtail Shark (1), Endler's Livebeares(5), and a Stary Night Placo (1). To much? To little?

Brookfish
03-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the Forum! :22:

fins_n_fur
03-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Hello and welcome home to the A.C.!

Jaster
03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Welcome to AC! :22:

mrs fishpatrick
03-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi welcome

Tamara
03-28-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm brand new too - welcome - it's easy to get settled in.

HendersE
03-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Welcome to AC!

KcEE
03-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Hello! Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the cycling!

Wild Turkey
03-29-2009, 02:33 AM
Welcome to ac!!!!!! thumbs2: :19:

You really dont need 30 fish to cycle the tank, you could keep 5 or so and return the rest. Most people opt not to use feeders even for fish-cycling because they often carry disease and things of that nature.

Of course, i recommend fishless cycling method over any other, however if I had to start with one of the fish in your stocking plan for cycling, the livebearers are the hardiest. (platys and guppies)

Red Tailed shark needs a bigger tank, he needs a 3 foot long+ with a good amount of swimming room.

The starry night pleco is a type of BN (i think??) so its fine, only gets up to around 5 inches. All the others are small fish, fine.

Hope that helps! In the future, if you ask questions in the appropriate sections you will get more answers. Welcome aboard!

mommy1
03-29-2009, 02:41 AM
hi and welcome :22: i'm with wild turkey. i think 20 fish is a bit much for cycling a tank. and even though the fishstore guy said they were "disposible" many of them may survive. then you definately wont have enough room in the tank for the fish you want.

bluemerle030
03-29-2009, 03:33 AM
Are you saying I should get rid of a few of them? The pet store..ick I hate saying that..said I need at least 12 for my 30 gal tank..I think I have least 20 in there...I'll pay you to count them..catch them if you can..lol..I took out the ill looking one as soon as I saw he was "sleeping" on the bottom..poor fella.,

Thanks for the info on the shark..my husband..being the man thing I guess wants me to have a shark...doh...must be a testosterone thing...any suggestions? I will not and I repeat will not put my tank in jepardy in order for it to look "pretty" if you know what I mean..

Thanks for all the input..and I hope you can all bear with me during this new adventure

Welcome to ac!!!!!! thumbs2: :19:

You really dont need 30 fish to cycle the tank, you could keep 5 or so and return the rest. Most people opt not to use feeders even for fish-cycling because they often carry disease and things of that nature.

Of course, i recommend fishless cycling method over any other, however if I had to start with one of the fish in your stocking plan for cycling, the livebearers are the hardiest. (platys and guppies)

Red Tailed shark needs a bigger tank, he needs a 3 foot long+ with a good amount of swimming room.

The starry night pleco is a type of BN (i think??) so its fine, only gets up to around 5 inches. All the others are small fish, fine.

Hope that helps! In the future, if you ask questions in the appropriate sections you will get more answers. Welcome aboard!

bluemerle030
03-29-2009, 03:39 AM
Well his exact words were..after the cycle is done flush em down the toilet..I know it sounds awful...but he said they build up the bacteria etc...I don't plan on keeping all of them..well maybe a couple becauase I can't find it in my heart to just toss them all...seriously..I don't want toss any of them..is that silly?

hi and welcome :22: i'm with wild turkey. i think 20 fish is a bit much for cycling a tank. and even though the fishstore guy said they were "disposible" many of them may survive. then you definately wont have enough room in the tank for the fish you want.

KingFisher
03-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum! :22:

Please don't flush fish down the toilet, live or dead. It's a cruel thing to do if they are alive, and it could possibly spread diseases to the waterways in either case. If you are going to continue the cycle with fish, you can return the ones you don't want back to the store, or euthanize them in a humane way and dispose of them in the trash.

I think your planned stocking will be fine with the exception of the shark. Also, any fish labeled as a shark at the store will grow too large for your tank.

escamosa
03-29-2009, 05:21 AM
G'day, enjoy your time at AC.:22: thumbs2:

Sharon
03-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Welcome!:19: