PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp?

cer
03-28-2009, 08:39 PM
I was wondering if I can put shrimp in my 10 gallon? The shrimp are farely large 2 1/2 to 3 inches. As big as all of the fish in the tank except the large peacful swordtail. He has to be 3 1/2 inches long. The type of shrimp is a bamboo shrimp. Thanks for the help!

smaug
03-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders that get there chow from floating detritus in the water column.If you do not wish to feed them directly with a syringe feeder I dont recomend them.I tried twice to keep them in a clean 20 gal with no luck.

HeatherB
03-28-2009, 10:02 PM
I use Ghost Shrimp. They scavange the bottom and eat the suff the fish leave to sink down. They are one of the best purchases I have made for my tanks.

I don't know much about Bamboo shrimp but if they are filter feeders, they sound like a pain in the rear to me!

smaug
03-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I use Ghost Shrimp. They scavange the bottom and eat the suff the fish leave to sink down. They are one of the best purchases I have made for my tanks.

I don't know much about Bamboo shrimp but if they are filter feeders, they sound like a pain in the rear to me!
I keep wanting to get some for my planted tank,there is always alot of stuff in the water for them to catch.The price of 16 bucks each turns me off.

cer
03-29-2009, 01:02 AM
Oh then I guess I will not get them.

plantedlab
03-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Really!?! $16 each for ghost shrimp? Thats rediculus, they sell them at the local pet store here as feeders. I think it's like $3.00 per dozen. Personally I like to use cherry shrimp. A little smaller than ghost shrimp, but more colorful, and great algae eaters. I have never had any trouble getting them to breed in a planted tank without any fish in it.

Ashley
03-30-2009, 04:47 PM
I have a cherry shrimp. They are really neat, I like to watch how it gets from one plant to another! They kind of swim backwards. A word of warning however on shrimp! Careful they don't get sucked up into your filter. I had three, now only have one. If it's slighty larger it will be fine, but I had two smaller ones and assumed they got eaten. But nope, they were in the filter and unfortunately it killed them :(

korith
03-30-2009, 07:04 PM
I have a cherry shrimp. They are really neat, I like to watch how it gets from one plant to another! They kind of swim backwards. A word of warning however on shrimp! Careful they don't get sucked up into your filter. I had three, now only have one. If it's slighty larger it will be fine, but I had two smaller ones and assumed they got eaten. But nope, they were in the filter and unfortunately it killed them :(

Definitely need to put some sort of covering over the filter intake to keep the shrimps safe. I just use an aquaclear sponge with a slit cut into it for the intake to fit into.

And gotta agree cherry shrimp are very amusing to watch. Sometimes my plant tank seems empty can only see a few of them, then once I toss a bit of food in, they seem to crawl out from every corner of the tank.

Oh sometimes you'll find ghost shrimp, being sold just as "feeder shrimp" Here it's easy enough to find them get a dozen for a $1. I would avoid the bamboo shrimp, filter feeders, they would probably do well in a matured plant tank I think, never have tried them.

Kaz
04-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Really!?! $16 each for ghost shrimp? Thats rediculus, they sell them at the local pet store here as feeders. I think it's like $3.00 per dozen. Personally I like to use cherry shrimp. A little smaller than ghost shrimp, but more colorful, and great algae eaters. I have never had any trouble getting them to breed in a planted tank without any fish in it.

I think that was refering to bamboo shrimp, or at least I hope it was.

plantedlab
04-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Oh, that makes sense.

Don't get bamboo shrimp unless you can setup a really good flow in your tank. They are filter feeders and stand in one place waiting for food to hit the sticky hairs all over their front legs. If your water is not flowing in one direction like a stream, they will be waiting for a long time.