PDA

View Full Version : Easiest plants for beginners

Lady Hobbs
02-21-2007, 01:19 PM
I just copied this from a site and thought it might be of interest to anyone (including me) who is planting a tank for the first time.

Bread & Butter plants. Some plants are physically sturdy, easily adapt to various chemical and temperature conditions, and do well with standard aquarium lighting. These make great starter plants for newer hobbyists, and are a fine choice for any hobbyist looking for plants for his "Fish Tank". Popular species include Anacharis (AKA Elodea or Egeria species), Hygrophila polysperma, Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis), most Vallisneria species, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides), Amazon Swordplants (Echinodorus species), Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus, Banana plants (Nymphoides aquaticum), Onion plants (Crinum species) and the floating plant Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum).
Toast & Jelly plants? A number of other fairly common aquarium plants are somewhat more fragile and/or a little fussier about requirements, but can be kept by most hobbyists with a minimum of effort. These would include Bacopa species, Cabomba species, Didiplis deandra, Giant Hygro (Hygrophila corymbosa), Ambulia (Limnophila species), Red Ledwigia (Ludwigia species), Myriophyllum species, Rotala indica, Sagittaria species, Aponogeton species, and Cryptocoryne species, Pigmy Chain Swords (Echinodorus tenellus) and Anubias species.
Truffle Soufflé plants? Some plants are best left to those with a real green thumb and a willingness to spend a little extra time and money to set up a real "plant tank" with extra lighting, and possibly CO2 injection and other gadgetry. These would include the very challenging Madagascar Lace Plant (Aponogeton madagascariensis), Barclaya longifolia, Alternanthera species, Pennywort (Hydrocotyle species), Cardamine species, any of the red Rotala species, and Baby Tears (Glossostigma elatinoides).

More information on easy plants for beginnings in the plant section in the left hand menu.

*Sarah*
02-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Nice post, I'll have to print it and take it with me when I'm shopping for plants :)

Lady Hobbs
02-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Finally. A listing of the easier plants. I will sticky this so it will hang around longer since planting seems to be a hot topic lately.

minabird
02-21-2007, 02:41 PM
This is a great list. My experience doesn't match up with theirs tho. They have banana plants as being bread & butter and I've read posts from others how easy this plant is to grow. Had 3 of them die on me within a couple months; finally found one that has lived longer than 4 months. And they have the red rotala species as being difficult to grow and all of the sites agree, but I think I have the Rotala macrandra and it's been growing great for me with no special requirements. Leave it to me to be the exception to this list. At least the ones I haven't had much luck with are the bread and butter ones, which are readily available and pretty cheap comparted to some of the more difficult ones to grow, which are also harder to find and more expensive.

Chrona
02-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah, from my experience, wisteria hasn't been that easy (sure it spreads, but the bottom leaves are all brownish/green from lack of light I'm assuming. My anubias isl doing amazing though, and I think they should fall under the bread and butter category, as well as Java moss (which should technically fall under "So easy you'll hate it") Swords.....meh, I would say they are kind of in the middle, because they really need quite a bit of light. My sword grows, but not well in 1.5 watts/gallon. Interestingly enough, a ludwigia in my tank (not sure of the exact specifies) is doing VERY well, and after multiple clippings and side shoots, has gone from 3 stems to a nice thick patch.

I personally would group plants based on how much light they need + what kind of water they require, as light is the limiting factor most of the time. You could say "Easy" plants such as anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, which all require very little light are easy because you can use the light that comes with your tank on them and they'll do great.

Severus
02-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Very nice list hobbs. I am thinking about slowly adding a live plant or two to my 55 gallon. Obviously starting with amazon sword or java fern. lol

sergo
02-21-2007, 05:40 PM
i will add a little here, my Aponogeton is the fastest growing plant in my tank with my little 30 watts of light. it outgrows the anacharis by far and has taken over one corner of my tank. the ferns seem to grow pretty slow along with micro sword and my bananna plants are new but seem to be coming around now.

Lady Hobbs
02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
I'd like to try the onion plant for my Silver Dollars. Heard they don't care for it much. I can't believe there's anything mine wouldn't eat tho.

Minabird, I think you were just too good to your plants. Probably scared them getting all that love and affection.

Maybe you can recommend something that's a tough leafed plant that's hard for fish to eat. I know they tear into romaine lettuce but leave the center of each leaf as they can't get thru it.

jweintraub
02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
That's a great post! Good information that I copied and pasted into a Word document for reference later when needed. I sure wish I had this list when i started my 20G and knew NOTHING about which plants to choose.

minabird
02-21-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd like to try the onion plant for my Silver Dollars. Heard they don't care for it much. I can't believe there's anything mine wouldn't eat tho.

Minabird, I think you were just too good to your plants. Probably scared them getting all that love and affection.

Maybe you can recommend something that's a tough leafed plant that's hard for fish to eat. I know they tear into romaine lettuce but leave the center of each leaf as they can't get thru it.

How about plastic.....hehehe

I actually did run into a post on one of the plant forums that had suggestions on plants that most fish stay away from. I'll see if I can find it again and pass that info along to you and any others that have plant-eating fish.

minabird
02-23-2007, 02:50 AM

Hobbs- Couldn't find the same forum where I saw the post about inedible plants, but I did find another one. Here's a link referred to in the post, http://www.goldfishparadise.com/viewArticle.php?articleId=6. It's to a goldfish site but, since goldfish are big plant eaters, whatever can survive their grazing should also be fine for your silver $$.

I think you're right. $90 for gravel?!?!? My friends think I'm nuts because of the amount of money I'm spending on my fish. BTW, my 75 lbs of fluorite arrived today. I was planning to mix this into my tanks this weekend, but I just found out today I have to do some work for a client this weekend. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/images/icons/icon8.gif

sushant
02-27-2007, 09:48 AM
thats really a very useful post,thanks Hobbsthumbs2:

reybie
03-02-2007, 05:45 AM
Thanks also, good reference for my trip to the lfs. Might try me some live plants in the cycling tank.

Lady Hobbs
03-04-2007, 07:10 AM
The link wouldn't work for me. Silver Dollars are huge plant eaters. It's the main food. They will eat everything in the tank within a week so I will try the onion plants and put them in pots. If they try to eat them I can just take them out of the tank and plant in another.

minabird
03-09-2007, 06:41 PM
The link wouldn't work for me. Silver Dollars are huge plant eaters. It's the main food. They will eat everything in the tank within a week so I will try the onion plants and put them in pots. If they try to eat them I can just take them out of the tank and plant in another.

Sorry for the bad link hobbs. It was working when I first posted. Guess they don't want nonmembers looking at their info. I'll see if I can find the original link I saw about safe plants for plant-eating fish.

minabird
03-09-2007, 07:13 PM
hobbs-

here's a list of plants kept by goldfish lovers that seem to survive their foraging

Cryptocoryne
Echinodorus
Aponogeton
Vallisneria spiralis
Anubias
Cabomba pulcherrima
Egeria
Alternanthera
Lysimachia

Lady Hobbs
05-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Hey Kev, just saw your post today. duh I will check into your list and I thank you for taking the time to check it out for me. *Hugs*

Juannie
05-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Hobbs you are a genius, I have no idea about plants and was trying to figure out what to add, now all I have to do is figure out how to maintain them!

Lady Hobbs
05-26-2007, 01:37 AM
I have been reading also that all crypts do well in low to moderate light as well as hydro's, jungle val and echinodorus. None of the red plants will work in lower lit tanks nor the flowering variety. Those need brighter lights. Now that I have my pearl grass, I read that it needs bright light. ppttfff! More wasted money.

I do a lot of reading in Arizona Gardens plant section. They describe quite a bit about each plant and it's requirements. Easy to see at this site just what light requirements are needed for the different varieties. http://www.azgardens.com/newaquar2.php Very expensive to order from them, however, as their shipping is $20 plus a $5 box free but they offer some HUGE plants if money is not a consideration.

kid_fishboy13
09-24-2007, 11:42 PM
java fern is great! i had a single java fern in a 1 gallon betta tank(my brothers) and once it started to reproduce i couldnt get rid of them. i put them in with my pleco and despite his devouring of them, theyre spreading faster than any plant ive ever seen

zeon
11-20-2007, 03:15 AM
I have been reading also that all crypts do well in low to moderate light as well as hydro's, jungle val and echinodorus. None of the red plants will work in lower lit tanks nor the flowering variety. Those need brighter lights. Now that I have my pearl grass, I read that it needs bright light. ppttfff! More wasted money.

I do a lot of reading in Arizona Gardens plant section. They describe quite a bit about each plant and it's requirements. Easy to see at this site just what light requirements are needed for the different varieties. http://www.azgardens.com/newaquar2.php Very expensive to order from them, however, as their shipping is $20 plus a $5 box free but they offer some HUGE plants if money is not a consideration.

That is a great site Lady Hobbs! Now I have to refrain from spending to much lol. Just got to window shop for now so hubby does not take the credit card away. ;)

richberstler
11-20-2007, 05:37 PM
I also came across this site. It seems pretty detailed on what is needed to keep the plants alive along with a pretty good photo.

http://www.aquariumgarden.com/index.php?doc_base=listings/complete_list.php

richberstler
11-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I started a new thread so I don't clutter this one up with requests (if anyone even wants it)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=137106#post137106

I created a "beginners" spreadsheet for myself listing all the plants Lady Hobbs had listed as EASY. To help me shop. It has sceinticic name, common name, picture, and 3 columns of info including water parameters, plant height, and how to propagate into more plants etc...

I'm not allowed to attach the file for everyone to help themselves, so if you want a copy, please go over there and let me know. I can email it. Thanks.

squirt_12
12-01-2007, 11:35 PM
i recommend the red ludwiga for a beginner....it is SOOO easy to care for. All i have in my tank is low-med light and CO2 and it grow like a weed. it is great to have. I had ot for about 1 week in my 10g and i had to prune it.

great plant and easy.

tropfish
12-02-2007, 12:02 AM
if you have like 2wpg i would recommed moneymort, i've had mine for 2 weeks and its grown over 6in".

kacourt
01-10-2009, 10:46 PM
More great information to get me off and running! Thanks.

Sursion
05-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Can you mix fake and live plants? I already have fake plants in the tank, and wasn't sure about introducing a live one.

My guess is that it doesn't matter, but it's better to be safe then sorry.

Owlbehere
05-27-2010, 12:53 AM
It won't matter but... ... You will probably end up with a tank full of live plants after a while and no more fake LOL they look so amazing.

Markpolo123
09-02-2011, 02:28 AM
Nice post .thanks!!

sammybelle
01-13-2012, 02:35 AM
Any suggestions for a carpet-like, low light requiring, beginner level plant? Y'know, one that is suitable for the foreground of the aquarium?

Lady Hobbs
01-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Not really. Nearly all grass- like plants require high lighting and CO2. I recently invested in some that were supposed to be able to grow in Moderate lights and not doing well at under under my new Nova light.

Low lighting does not mean low light like stock lights, BTW. When speaking of low light plants, it means 1-2 watts of planted tank lights, not the hood lights that come on your tank. Those are only for us to view the fish, not for growing much of anything altho a few have been lucky enough to grow a few things like anubias or java fern. (Not in my case.)

superbsite
10-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Marsilea Hirsuta would be the closest to the so called low light category that you can use in a planted tank.