PDA

View Full Version : Snails?

cer
03-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Ok I think I want some snails for my freshwater tank. I have some questions about them. 1. People say that snails need calcium to build their shells, how can I get them calcium? 2. What do I feed them? 3. Do they have as big of a Bio-Load as fish? Thanks for the help!

Wild Turkey
03-28-2009, 04:10 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=38661

Hope that helps a bit cer

cer
03-28-2009, 04:22 PM
What about the calcium question? I could not find the answer for that in the article. Would you say it is a bad idea to put them in with fish. I have seen lots of people do it. Also what if I put lots of decorations in the tank that they can hide in.

Wild Turkey
03-28-2009, 06:20 PM
All those questions are answered in the article i think, but yes calcium is fine, adding to the water directly isnt always needed, as long as your ph is high enough, u feed enough calcium etc. The two things i would focus on is getting the water hard and ph high, and high calcium diet. If you take care of those, i doubt you will have any major shell damage problems.

Putting them with fish is totally fine unless its a fish that eats snails or other small crustaceans.

I couldnt tell you exactly how much calcium to add, i cant find any reliable info on it either. So dosage is up in the air, but adding it does help stop shell damage. It would take a ton of experimenting over several years to get any clear results, to find out exactly what is required, so thats probably why.

One food that is very high in calcium is Kale, use that for veggies a lot. The best option is powdering your algae wafers, adding calcium supplement powder, add water and re-freeze.

cer
03-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks that was alot of help! :)

Wild Turkey
03-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Anytime certhumbs2: