PDA

View Full Version : Pond Tub

LadyHatred
03-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I've come accross a 6 person hottub. For FREE! It runs and dosen't leak.

Think that would make a decent pond? I could use half the jets for in-take, half for out-put. If I put it on the lower tier, and with a bit of digging, I could even install a waterfall.

A friend of mine had her old pond pump refurbished and couldn't wait for it to come back. She bought a new one and is willing to give me her old one. Believe she said it pumps 3400 gallons per minute. Although, that sounds like a lot. Crappy-Tire is having a sale on waterfall kits.

I would LOVE to have koi and know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who can get them. <-- lol But if I went through with this, I'd use normal goldies to gain some experience. If I can get them healthily (is that even a word?!) through summer/fall/winter without dieing/disease/predation, then I might spend the coin on koi.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I mad? :hmm3grin2orange:

gm72
03-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Brilliant idea, and with the installation of a bio-filter in the circuit I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Ryuu
03-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Lol, you know your crazy about fish when you make a hotub a pond Lol. Thats an awesome idea!

LadyHatred
03-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Several questions, if I may. XD

The tub is about 350 gallons. I am going to add substrate and eventually plants. So lets say I have 300 gallons.

My friend's pump is way too powerfull for this. Need to get myself one. Should I get a 500 or 850 GPH or can I go lower? I would like to run a sump with this. Areation will be in the form of the return hose being at the top of a "waterfall". If this proves to be too little areation, I can add air stones of some sort.

The sump. Im going to make one myself. Still undecided if I should go with two or three seperate containers or a huge barrel all-in-one deal.

Seperate containers is a plus for cleaning and trouble-shooting. Easy to hide in hot tub housing. Downfall is that it will be lower than my pond and power cuts could lead to my 300 gallons pouring down the side of the mountain.

All in one is plus as its just one big "thing" to hide. Would be above pond so any power interruptions would result in only the sump draining. More tedious to clean and will likely result in the loss of use of installed plumbing.

Also, would I be able to get away with just two "filters"?:
1st=(sponge) --> flows into 2nd=(gravel) --> flows back into pond.

Or should I add a third with something like....a boat load of bio-balls?

Been looking at UV Sterilizers. Should I get one now or wait till I need one? If I have enough plants, I wont need one, correct? If I'm going to break the bank, may as well have some fun before hand!

Insight would be super! Thanks in advance!! :1luvu: