PDA

View Full Version : Green and brown

Mith
03-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Howdy, first post here... hopefully people read this forum... LOL

Welp, I'm no getting algae. I started with some really pretty green algae on some of the rocks towards the top of the tank. Then I started getting little brown spots.

Now it's my understanding that the green algae is ok... what about the brown. Also one last thing, what can I do to promote the groth of the green algae?

Thanks.

Paw Broon
03-28-2009, 08:20 PM
I think brown algae is ok, i've had it for the past month or so in my old tank and sure i read somewhere that it sorts itself out eventually. On the leaflets that came with my lights it also says too little light can cause brown algae and too much will cause green algae although i'm still not sure on all this. I just noticed though that green algae is starting to grow in my new tank on rocks so i'm in the same boat and in need of some info.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Is this in a SW tank?

Mith
03-29-2009, 03:30 AM
Is this in a SW tank?

Mine is fresh. I leave my lights on from about 11:30 am until roughly 3:00 am.... don't know what type of lights, but there's 3 of them under the hood.

Poofaye C.
03-29-2009, 04:53 AM
Mine is fresh. I leave my lights on from about 11:30 am until roughly 3:00 am.... don't know what type of lights, but there's 3 of them under the hood.
Wow! Do you mean 3am till 11:30 am. If not then that's alot of light Mith. Could explain the algae.

Mith
03-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Wow! Do you mean 3am till 11:30 am. If not then that's alot of light Mith. Could explain the algae.

11 O'Clock in the morning (I go to work) and then I shut them off at around 3-4 in the morning when I go to bed.

I don't mind the algae.... but I don't like the brown algae. I want the GREEN algae.....

Poofaye C.
03-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Oooh, ok that's not bad at all. Ever think about getting a timer for the light? They're great!! About $5 bucks at wal-greens.

Algenco
03-29-2009, 08:04 PM
your fish should eat the brown algae

Mith
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
your fish should eat the brown algae

I see the little herbavore picking at it as well as the little yellow fish....but the brown algae is really going nuts. I just wish I knew how to get the green mossy looking stuff to grow. The brown is over running the green!

Mith
03-30-2009, 10:12 PM
(Mith patiently waiting for someone to tell him how to promote the growth of green algae......)

Algenco
03-30-2009, 10:22 PM
more light:22:

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2009, 11:08 PM
My question would be why do you want algae? I spend all my time getting rid of it. LOL The brown algae is just diatoms and common in newly set up tanks. They hang around about 3-4 months and can be reduced by using a phosphate/silcate remover in your filter.

Can't tell you how to grow green algae. Read Dave's Algae primer to learn more about that algae.

Alfcea
03-30-2009, 11:19 PM
I agree with Hobbs, Mith. Why on Earth would you like green algae?! Your tank is pretty new. Brown algae (aka diatoms) is just a natural stage young tank go through and they will go away by themselves eventually... do not worry much about it.

If it so happens that you start getting green algae while you still have some diatoms, they will combine (symbiosis) and form "green dot" algae. That is a horrible one. Not only does it look ugly, but it is also very hard to scrape off the glass/acrylic. Most people have to use razors to get it off the glas...

Consider yourself lucky that you have none of these... yet....

Mith
04-01-2009, 05:08 AM
I just think the green algae was pretty. Now almost all the tops of the rocks are covered with the brown/rust colored algae. Some of it was on the rear glass, but it wiped off very easily.

On the topic of wiping off the glass....I bought a pole scraper. Dont like it! I found that manually wiping off the glass with my hand and a little cloth is FAR easier and FAR quicker!

Thanks to all who replied!