PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Suggestions

s72450
03-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm currently cycling a 55 gallon which should be ready in a few days, possibly early next week if things go as planned.

I know that beyond anything, I want two blood parrots, but beyond that I'm lost on what to stock with. I'd like a colorful tank and it is going to be heavily planted so I'd like fish that don't uproot plants if possible.

Can I have angels with parrots? I'd eventually like to get a few of them.

Thanks and please flood this with suggestions, lol.

sanddigger
03-28-2009, 03:37 AM
A 55g is minimum for size for two BPs. I have two BPs, Abe and Munch (three years now) in my 55 and have added rainbows, corys, and a BN plec. They all get along and tolerate Abe and his Bossy attitude.

You will love BPs. They can be shy at first. Mine were. My boys took longer (I think) to get over there shyness. I had dithers to bring them out after a month of hiding. It worked. It wasn't long and I could pet them. They jump half out of the tank to eat, and greet me all the the time.

I have read that some BPs can be quite aggressive and bite when doing WCs....I haven't had those troubles. I'm sure you will love them as they are quite companion swimmers and live for a while. I know some who have them and the BPs are over ten years old. Share some pics when you get them.

sanddigger
03-28-2009, 03:57 AM
Heres Abe and Munch today. Abe is the one one with the big kisser.

s72450
03-28-2009, 04:30 AM
Would you suggest male/female ratio? Two males? Two females? I'm not even sure what they have at PetCo, I've just noticed these beautiful fish a few times passing beside.

Do you know what other cichlids go well with them? I don't really want any huge fish beyond the two BPs, but I do enjoy the color and personalities of the cichlids.

sanddigger
03-28-2009, 05:17 AM
As far as BPs go there's no way of telling the sex. Some will differ on this opinion of mine. IMO I think they can't repro. Some say they can, some say they can't. I will confirm that many are dyed (please stay away from those).I haven't seen many in the lfs i frequent anymore. I think we may have won that.

Sounds like you want to breed? compatability? When choosing BPs just watch them, then pick. They fall into SA cichlid catagory and get large.

Please read my earlier post. Thats what I stock.

s72450
03-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Actually I don't want to breed them, I know they are hybrids and the males are mostly sterile, I just wanted to know what gender goes best together since I've never dealt with this species before.