PDA

View Full Version : adding clown after already having one

troy1976
03-26-2009, 10:03 PM
ok i have an O. clown he's been in tank for about a month, i really wanted to buy 2 but they only had one, so i got him. my question is will it be ok to add another one now that i already have one in the tank? will there be any problems?

AnthonyTCaps
03-26-2009, 10:12 PM
oh i know what there all going to ask haha
what size tank and what els do you have in it?

troy1976
03-26-2009, 10:23 PM
ya forgot i am a dummy sometimes. 29 g, have the 1 O. colwn and 1 banggai cardinal, a torch coral and a daisy coral, 1 med. sized clam, 5 blue legged hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 4 astrea snails, and 1 little horseshoe crab

snapdragon9
03-27-2009, 01:27 AM
ok i have an O. clown he's been in tank for about a month, i really wanted to buy 2 but they only had one, so i got him. my question is will it be ok to add another one now that i already have one in the tank? will there be any problems?

From my own experience with already having an ocellaris clown, and adding another one...that wasn't the best idea. Within moments I put the clown in, he didn't last too long without the other clown beating the crap out of him. I guess its best to add them at the same time. I had to bring the clown back to the LFS right away.

Tigerbarb
03-27-2009, 01:44 AM
Hmm...I think that could only work if you added an O. clown of the opposite sex of the one you have. Otherwise, the clown you have in your tank now will probably beat the crap out of the new one, like snapdragon said.

troy1976
03-27-2009, 03:21 PM
well how can you tell difference between sexes

travie
03-27-2009, 03:31 PM
The female will be bigger than the male.

troy1976
03-27-2009, 03:33 PM
so if i go to LFS and buy the smallest one he should be male? but how can i tell what i already have. it was the only one in the tank when i bought it so had nothing to compare to. since it will be bigger will it change sexes?

travie
03-27-2009, 03:40 PM
so if i go to LFS and buy the smallest one he should be male? but how can i tell what i already have. it was the only one in the tank when i bought it so had nothing to compare to. since it will be bigger will it change sexes?

Females can't change to male. Males can change to female. As long as you buy a male, you shouldn't have to worry about what you have.

troy1976
03-27-2009, 03:43 PM
so then if i buy the smallest clown they have, it should be a male? so then the one i have will be bigger, if it is a male now then it will change? am i correct to assume this?

AABatteries
03-27-2009, 03:44 PM
It may or may not work out like that.

travie
03-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes that is what will happen in theory. There will be a chance the clown in your tank will not like this new clown entering the tank, and then kill the new clown. There is nothing you can really do to guarantee it will work out they way you want.

troy1976
03-27-2009, 04:01 PM
ok thanks for the info i think i am going to try it out and see what happens

travie
03-27-2009, 04:03 PM
ok thanks for the info i think i am going to try it out and see what happens

Be prepared with a breeding net incase they don't get along, so you can isolate the clown getting beat on.And see if you can return it to the LFS in the event they can't live together.

troy1976
03-27-2009, 04:05 PM
yes for sure i will be ready, already lost 2 fish because of heavy weight scrap, so i really dont want to lose any more

ccald77
04-14-2009, 10:04 PM
let me recap to see if i got it right. you can add another clown to your tank if you are willing to take the chance it might be killed because he might be attack or if you are lucky he might not die and become a female if the one you already have is a male. but if its a female it might attack it anyway not giving it a chance to change so... wait i got lost.. maybe is not a good idea to make the clown suffer so the answer is probably No you cannot introduce a new clown once you already have one. correct?

travie
04-14-2009, 11:07 PM
let me recap to see if i got it right. you can add another clown to your tank if you are willing to take the chance it might be killed because he might be attack or if you are lucky he might not die and become a female if the one you already have is a male. but if its a female it might attack it anyway not giving it a chance to change so... wait i got lost.. maybe is not a good idea to make the clown suffer so the answer is probably No you cannot introduce a new clown once you already have one. correct?

No... It can be done. There is just a chance the one already in the tank won't allow another fish in the tank. This scenario happens a lot in SW tanks. Clownfish go from juvenile to male to female. They can't go from female to male.

labnjab
04-14-2009, 11:30 PM
We added our female first which we bought from a member of our local reef club, then went to petco the same day and got the male (roughly an inch smaller then her) and they hit it off right away and are now inserparable, but neither had staken claim to any territory since they were added to the tank at roughly the same time. Your best bet for success is to remove your current clown, rearange the rock work, then add both at the same time, that way it seems like new territory to both of them.

cocoa_pleco
04-15-2009, 04:10 AM
it can work, i added a O. clown 5 months after my cinnamon clown was in the tank and the cinnamon only sniffed the O for a hour then left him alone

coachfraley
04-15-2009, 04:35 AM
Totally can be done. Get the smallest one you can, and follow labnjab's advice if possible. But even if you just introduce it, it should be ok.

troy1976
04-15-2009, 04:43 PM
i bought the other clown about 2 weeks ago and havent had any problems yet. they actually get along great and dont really leave each others side. they are now currently both in hospital tank though, so hopefully they get better, one had some sort of eye infection and withen 1 day his eye seems to be better, so hopefully the other one heals his wounds, not sure what they are form but he has a wound under one of his fins and has been scrathing lots. my g/f said lastnite that she hasnt seen him scratch lately so maybe he is on his way to recovery

ccald77
04-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Which Clowns are the most agressive?

troy1976
04-15-2009, 08:48 PM
i am not too sure which are the most aggressive, you could start your own thread and i am sure someone will answer that question for you. i am still new at this hobby so dont know too much but there is a lot of people on here that are very rich with info.

ccald77
04-15-2009, 08:59 PM
thanks didn't mean to confuse things on this thread just figured i asked.

saix88
05-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Which Clowns are the most agressive?

Maroon.:22: