PDA

View Full Version : COlor of discus eggs before and after fertilization?

silent_thunder
03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Im backkkkkkkkkkk =L=

This last Monday the discus laid many eggs...again! That being said....as soon as I noticed them I covered them with a plastic mesh screen...hoping to keep them from eating them and that worked...

The one think I do not know is...how can you tell if they have been ferilized? Right now...about 72 hours into it they are white...

So what color are they before being fertilzed as well as afterwards?

Thanks folks

Daniel

btate617
03-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Im backkkkkkkkkkk =L=

This last Monday the discus laid many eggs...again! That being said....as soon as I noticed them I covered them with a plastic mesh screen...hoping to keep them from eating them and that worked...

The one think I do not know is...how can you tell if they have been ferilized? Right now...about 72 hours into it they are white...

So what color are they before being fertilzed as well as afterwards?

Thanks folks

Daniel

Pulled this from another forum Daniel, the question there was the same as yours.

Congrats on the spawning. If the eggs are infertile, they will turn white with fungus after a day or so. Fertilized discus eggs generally have a tan to orangish color. I wouldn't toss in the towel yet on them being infertile. Freshly laid eggs will be clear for a little while. This spawn would be a good practice spawn for both the discus parents and yourself. You can cull the baby fish later, but for now, let the parents take care of the clutch if they will.

Actually, both parents (if they're good parents) will take turns fanning the eggs and protecting them from would be egg snatchers. They will be aggressive towards their tankmates, so unless you have a large tank, it'd be a wise idea to move the other fish out of the tank. If they're fertile, they'll hatch out within a week or so. It will take 36-48 hours after hatching for the fry to absorb their yolk sacks (wrigglers at this stage) and after that, they will be free swimming.

Discus are unique, in that their fry can and do feed from their bodily secretions in the wild. The young will feed on the slime coat of either of the adults and hover around the adults like a swarm of gnats. You can start to feed them infusoria (sponge filter squeezings) and/or green algae water for the first two to three days. After that, you can also feed them supplimental feedings of baby brine shrimps or a small micron powdered food such as golden pearls (kens fish carries them) up to five times per day with a turkey baster. Keep changing the tank water, about 50% a day, with pre-warmed replacement water (use a heater in a brand new plastic paint bucket) to avoid cold shocking the fry.

Hope it helps some.

Brian

btate617
03-26-2009, 10:11 PM
also with most spawns you can see what has not been ferilized properly because those eggs will turn white. lots of times you will have orange eggs with a few mixed in here and there that are white.

sherylfd
05-26-2012, 04:25 AM
hi.. i have this pair of discus fish which has laid eggs 2 days back at around 6:30 pm.. out of which 4 to 4 eggs have turned white.. n sum are orangish brown.. can u tel me if there are chances of these eggs being hatched..

Thankyou

Cliff
05-26-2012, 04:30 AM
sherylfd, please start a thread to ask your own questions

This thread is over two years old