PDA

View Full Version : tropheus dubosi

domjd05
03-26-2009, 08:21 PM
excuse the spelling, haha, but I was wondering what one of these might cost if they were around 2 and a half inches or so?

kaybee
03-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Tropheus duboisi are actually african cichlids (orginating from Lake Tanganyika), and aren't South American.

I've yet to see an inexpensive tropheus (duboisi or otherwise) in an LFS (1.5"-2" specimens typically go for $25-35 in my area, which makes creating a colony extremely challenging).

I'd imagine a 2.5" t. duboisi may go for $30-45, give or take. From fellow hobbyists you may find them at $10-15 each.

(I kinda lucked out with the one I have, got it for free).

Red
03-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Kaybee whats the max size on these? I see them at petsmart all the time..

kaybee
03-26-2009, 11:09 PM
4" or 5".

Are the one's you've seen at Petsmart polka-dotted juvies or matured, 'banded' ones?

Red
03-26-2009, 11:13 PM
little polka-dotts ones, they get to mean for a tank with shellies and calvus?

kaybee
03-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Their aggression is largely conspecific in nature, so they tend to get along fine with other cichlids. If keeping multiple tropheus, however, they need to be kept in groups of perhaps a dozen or more minimum (which is why multiple tropheus are kept in species or colony tanks).

A single one should do fine. The only problem keeping them with other tanganyikans is that tropheus are strict vegaterians and can be bloat prone if feed other than veggie-based flakes or pellets. It will be challenging to keep them with other lake tangs (diet-wise, since calvus are carnivores) unless a high quality low-protein content food is provided to all (such as NLS).

Red
03-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Oh ok, thanks, and I sent you a pm by the way!

domjd05
03-27-2009, 11:11 AM
the one I am looking at is polka dotted and banded, my LFS wants $35 for it, I offered my 10g tank and stand w/hood that I haven't used in a year... think he'll take the bait?

Brookfish
03-27-2009, 01:12 PM
the one I am looking at is polka dotted and banded, my LFS wants $35 for it, I offered my 10g tank and stand w/hood that I haven't used in a year... think he'll take the bait?

Nothing beats a try, wait and see what he says!

kaybee
03-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I went to a new LFS today, they had three 2"-2.5" tropheus duboisi selling for $19.99 each (in the same enclosure were tiny 2" burundi frontosa's @ $29.99). Two of the duboisi's were polka-dotted, the last one had the matured banded scheme, even though they were all about the same size.

I'm not sure why tropheus are so expensive, they're as prolific as most other african cichlids.

$60 for three 2 inch fish seems nigh-insane. And as I previously mentioned, these fish need to be kept in colonies of 10-15 if not more for their own 'safety'.

domjd05
05-08-2009, 03:03 AM
My LFS has had this fish for a year, and nobody has bought it... you'd think he'd cut me a deal with all the business I've given him, not to mention I practically offered to give my 10g setup to him for a discount on the tropheus, but he wouldn't budge.. he said he had to get at least $30 for it because thats what he bought it for.. a year ago.. I suppose he'll wish he had taken the tank when the fish dies....

Brookfish
05-08-2009, 02:09 PM
If he has had the fish for a year and no one has taken it
he's got to be asking why? he should cut his losses and
do a deal with you, tell him if you take the fish of his hands
it will free his tank up for new stock.thumbs2:

hari-goshi
05-08-2009, 03:48 PM
A petsmart:14: I buy supplies at had the same situation going on. There were five duboisi ($30) and 12 peacock gudgeons ($15) they had for the better part of a year. They finally chalked it up and dropped the prices though(t.duboisi-$8 , p.gudgeons-$4). They went fast.

mac
05-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Same thing happens here. Most Kiwis keep hands in their pockets keeping money safe. So exotic stuff is hard to get.

So when you find it just ask and they tend to nearly give them away. Well to me any way.

mac

domjd05
05-09-2009, 01:22 AM
nah he won't budge... I've offered him to give him that 10g complete setup for like... $15... which is a good deal, and I would chalk up the rest to buy the fish.. but he wont do it.. which is insane.. he bought the thing for 30 (so he claims).. if it dies he's out 30, if he gives me a deal, he'll get his 30 eventually cuz he'll sell the 10g setup for something like $80.... and yes I did mention the fact that it would free up his display tank... but as you can see I still don't own the fish, so it clearly wasn't effective :help:

Algenco
05-09-2009, 03:13 AM
here you go, start bidding
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlidst&1242098445

or
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlidst&1242204002

this one is closer
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlidst&1242337202

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlidst&1242436804

kaybee
05-09-2009, 05:53 AM
If you were intending on setting up a colony this site has small tropheus duboisi's at decent prices ($12 for a small Tropheus duboisi Halembe 'Maswa': http://www.davesfish.com/

There are probably other online sites with similar prices.

mac
05-09-2009, 06:06 AM
If you were intending on setting up a colony this site has small tropheus duboisi's at decent prices ($12 for a small Tropheus duboisi Halembe 'Maswa': http://www.davesfish.com/
There are probably other online sites with similar prices.

Sorry for highjacking.

Do these fish ship good. LIke I mean over sea shipping. Say America to NZ?

Shame this fellow is not interested in budging. Maybe just make it clear to him that he will lose money when the fish dies. And that by getting the tank and cash for the fish he will make money. If that dose not work, then I would leave it. Obviously this person wants top dollar. MAybe come back after a few months and see if the fish is there, and start again with him.
mac

domjd05
05-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I've spent some big bucks there in the past (used to keep discus) which I have to admit he was more than helpful in helping me acquire them.. I think he has seen me open up my wallet enough to know that eventually I'll just buy it.. but not this time. I honestly don't want the fish anymore... so Its not a big deal...