PDA

View Full Version : Discus fry and egg sacs...

silent_thunder
03-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Here I am again -L-

Hope ya`ll are patience but keeping discus has always been a dream of mine..

When I used to try in the late 60`s and 70`s there was not much information to be found...like no net...back then!

Now I see no reason I can`t only have them but since I have a pair..raise them.

That being said...I hear people here talking about the fry and eggs sacks....do they hatch and take off as wigglers right away or should they be hatching and hanging on the breeding cones for a day or two?

While I am here how often do people feed their discus? I heard one ladt say 6 times a day....

Thanks for all that answer and for letting me be here..

Daniel

btate617
03-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Here I am again -L-

Hope ya`ll are patience but keeping discus has always been a dream of mine..

When I used to try in the late 60`s and 70`s there was not much information to be found...like no net...back then!

Now I see no reason I can`t only have them but since I have a pair..raise them.

That being said...I hear people here talking about the fry and eggs sacks....do they hatch and take off as wigglers right away or should they be hatching and hanging on the breeding cones for a day or two?

While I am here how often do people feed their discus? I heard one ladt say 6 times a day....

Thanks for all that answer and for letting me be here..

Daniel

Hey Daniel

when you first notice the fry they will still have the egg sac attached, after that is all gone they will feed off of the parents. Thats why most people say it is not a good idea to remove the parents, but if I remember right in your case one of them is eating the eggs/fry right. If so next time they spawn, and you know the male has fertilized the eggs, I would remove the male. Leave the eggs with the female and let her raise them.
As far as feeding 6x's a day, I will assume that is fry. Once they have feed off the mom for a bit and have enough size you can feed them, then I believe that is where she meant feed 6x's a day. At that point they should probably be big enough to be in a tank of their own and you can feed as often as you like. Just remember the more you feed the quicker you water will foul, just keep up on water changes and you should be good to go.
Hope that helps some.

Brian