PDA

View Full Version : Baby java ferns

Kadina
03-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I noticed little tiny roots and a leaf in a few places on the ends of my java fern the other day. After doing some research I realize this is one way that ferns can reproduce, which surprised me because I thought that baby plants grew from the rhizome. It is always good to learn something new!

http://olsonpages.com/storage/javafern1.jpg

http://olsonpages.com/storage/javafern2.jpg

Gemini
03-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Very clear pics!! thumbs2:
I've found with my java fern it reproduces both ways all the time. So it grows along and sprouts these little baby plants off the big leaves. Its great getting free plants hey!!:19:
Let them get a bit bigger and then you can take them off and plant them and off they will go

DrNic
03-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Java ferns are cool to propogate that way. If you have a lot of light in your tank you can actually clip a large leaf off a plant and put it horizontal in the gravel so that half the leaf is sticking out and you'll get a bunch of those.

Ellen4God
03-28-2009, 03:53 AM
Wow! That is so neat!! I've never seen anything like that before. Thanks for sharing! thumbs2: thumbs2:

lovleeko
03-28-2009, 03:57 AM
Java ferns are cool to propogate that way. If you have a lot of light in your tank you can actually clip a large leaf off a plant and put it horizontal in the gravel so that half the leaf is sticking out and you'll get a bunch of those.

You sure can! I rip off leaves that are old and not looking good anymore and put them somewhere in the back of the tank and just ancho it and it spits of sooo many babies!

troy
03-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Cool. my java fern is doing the same thing now.

dawguy
03-28-2009, 06:38 PM
When my fish remove some leaves from my ferns.I take them out and put them in a warm water pail with a heater in it.water temp around 80.The fern leaves turn brown then seedlings branch off of the leaf.This happens a lot in my angle tank.So the leaves are dropped in to the pail .Twice a month I put mircle grow liquid in the pail to help them grow.

Dawguy:19: