PDA

View Full Version : Cycling with fancy goldfish

Shrubs
03-26-2009, 05:45 AM
I keep seeing the recommendation to raise temps to speed up cycling. Right now I'm cycling a 28 gallon with 2 smaller fancy goldfish. I've always read goldfish tend to prefer mid to low 70's, would it be safe & comfortable for them to raise the tank to 78 to speed the cycle? (I'm also using SafeStart, and it's nicely planted which should help keep ammonia under control a bit more.)

I'm also using the Ammonia Remover element for my AquaClear 50. Is this a good idea?

Gemini
03-26-2009, 06:18 AM
I keep seeing the recommendation to raise temps to speed up cycling. Right now I'm cycling a 28 gallon with 2 smaller fancy goldfish. I've always read goldfish tend to prefer mid to low 70's, would it be safe & comfortable for them to raise the tank to 78 to speed the cycle? (I'm also using SafeStart, and it's nicely planted which should help keep ammonia under control a bit more.)

I'm also using the Ammonia Remover element for my AquaClear 50. Is this a good idea?
Welcome to the AC! thumbs2:
People raise the temps usually when doing a fishLESS cycle. You are doing a fish cycle and as you have cold water fish I would not raise the temp.
If you have not already - have a read through the free Aquarium E Book in the menu on the left hand side.
Also with a fish cycle you need to be testing your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates frequently and be prepared to change water as required.
I have never used any filter ammonia removers so I'll let someone else answer....
Good luck

Wild Turkey
03-26-2009, 11:15 AM
I disagree, A lot of people maintain goldfish will do fine at tropical temps, so i see no harm in raising the temp.

Yes, having the temp closer to 85 will help grow the bacteria faster, no matter which method you are using. 78 sounds fine. FG Keeps his goldfish at 78 I believe

Fishguy2727
03-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes, the recommendation is best applied to fishless cycling when you can safely raise the temp to about 95F, the ideal temp for the nitrifying bacteria.

Yes, goldfish IN GENERAL are fine in warmer temps. HOWEVER, fancy goldfish are not as hardy. I would not raise it.

1-Fancy goldfish are not nearly as hardy, for either temp or water quality
2-Higher temp means more waste. This can throw off the cycle by adding tons of waste and without tons of water changes you could easily kill the goldfish.

Take it slow, easy, and careful. Cycling with fish is dangerous for them and fancy goldfish are not the hardiest fish to begin with.

Wild Turkey
03-26-2009, 02:47 PM
In which case you might want to add that little clause to your article entitled "myths about goldfish care" since it isnt mentioned. Only over and over again how goldfish (non specific) can do fine in temps up past 90 etc etc. It got me, so im sure it will get a new keeper and his goldfish

Fishguy2727
03-26-2009, 08:58 PM
I think at that point I wasn't done with my 'trials'. Good point though. I will have to get that taken care of.