PDA

View Full Version : success!

JellyFish248
03-26-2009, 03:06 AM
its taken a few months but i finally did it! my bettas spawned yesterday! i've got somewhere around a hundred eggs. i bred my white crowntail male, starlight, with my white vt female,http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/images/smilies/19.gif crystal. should be some beautiful babies!

mommy1
03-26-2009, 04:35 AM
i couldnt see the picture. but congratulations :19:

Gemini
03-26-2009, 04:54 AM
Congrats! I couldn't see a pic either - but congrats on the spawn!

sid101
03-26-2009, 04:59 AM
can't see the picture, but congratulations! buy some transparent cups as soon as you can. The babay bettas will start to fight each other soon after hatching.

Best of lucks!

Sharon
03-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Congrats! I tried to breed my quad CRT with a Veiltail but they didn't cooperate. I've read that the VT gene is always dominant, so you'll get VTs??? I'm not sure if I misunderstood something, there... Keep us posted!!!:ssmile:

Wild Turkey
03-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Congrats!!! thumbs2:

Yea you posted the wrong link by accident

Mvjnz
03-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Congrats:)

I've read that the VT gene is always dominant, so you'll get VTs???

Yes, it's dominant, but so is the CT gene, so by crossing a VT with a CT you get combtails, which are like CT's but their webbing isn't quite as reduced. When crossing the siblings with each other you'll get some VT's, some CT's and some Combtails, as all the babies will carry both the VT and CT gene.

When crossing VT with other recessive tailtypes the babies will all carry the recessive gene, so by crossing siblings you will get some babies with the desired tailtype.

Wiggs
03-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Congrats! Should be some good looking babies :)

Brookfish
03-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Congrats on the spawn, good luck with it!

Sharon
03-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Congrats:)

Yes, it's dominant, but so is the CT gene, so by crossing a VT with a CT you get combtails, which are like CT's but their webbing isn't quite as reduced. When crossing the siblings with each other you'll get some VT's, some CT's and some Combtails, as all the babies will carry both the VT and CT gene.

When crossing VT with other recessive tailtypes the babies will all carry the recessive gene, so by crossing siblings you will get some babies with the desired tailtype.

Where were you when I needed breeding advice! I read all the charts, and finally gave up in frustration! Thanks for explaining so simply!:ssmile:

KcEE
03-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Congrats!!!!

JellyFish248
03-27-2009, 06:54 PM
like any new "mom" i'm really nervous. less than half of the eggs hatched and i've only been able to spot around 10 babies. they're incredibly tiny! i'm hoping i'll see more in the next few days. i'm feeding them home grown infusoria from a recipe i found on this site so hopefully they're getting the food they need. i have brine shrimp eggs and a hatchery set up so i'll be ready when the babies are big enough.
any suggestions on how i can clean the tank without harming the tiny fry?

Mvjnz
03-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Stick a mystery snail in the tank?

s72450
03-28-2009, 02:44 AM
Doesn't count until we see pics. :)

I've never seen baby bettas, I'm so curious!

Dave66
03-28-2009, 02:59 AM
Jelly, feed the babies an eye-dropper squirt of the infusoria every two hours. You may need a magnifying glass, but if you see the frys' little bodies curling up into an 'S' shape and strike at something, they are eating the microbes. Change 50 percent of the water daily CAREFULLY. Put a panty hose or similar on the mouth of the siphon to avoid sucking up the babies.

The tank should have no gravel or anything on the bottom, since that will make it MUCH easier to clean.

Good luck. Successfully rearing tiny fry like that from the Anabatoid complex is a true pleasure, and quite an accomplishment.

Dave

JellyFish248
03-28-2009, 03:06 AM
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/73/m_c0141eeaf1034eea8d44ee342c73e0f0.jpg

JellyFish248
03-28-2009, 03:15 AM
I posted the video of Starlight and Crystal spawning on my space. check it out, it's pretty amazing.

http://www.myspace.com/jellyfish248

Thanks Dave. I'll give it a try. I've been afraid to do a water change, the water's pretty gross. With a magnifying glass I can see non-fish tiny things wiggling. (yuck!) Should I be concerned about parasites?

s72450
03-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Oooh thanks for the video! That was cool to see.

JellyFish248
03-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Yeah, isn't he sweet? I didn't expect it to be so tender. I felt guilty taking Crystal away from him.

s72450
03-28-2009, 04:31 AM
Actually I've always heard the male is the one to take care of the fry when all is said and done. Seems to me that the males in the betta species come second to females when it comes to these things.

JellyFish248
03-28-2009, 04:46 AM
I've read that, too. There was a bit of a tragedy involved in this spawn.
I had to remove Starlight from the tank a few hours after crystal released the eggs because, although he carefully placed them in the nest, he was aggressively eating them. Without him there to maintain the nest the bubbles spread out and many of the eggs fell and did not develop.
The real tragedy is that the night they spawned, once I put Crystal and Starlight back in their original homes, I went out bowling and I came home to find Crystal had jumped out of her bowl. I cried like a baby. She was the purest white betta I've ever seen and the very day she became a mommy for the first time I lost her. After losing Crystal the babies are even more precious to me so any and all advice is both welcome and needed.

Dave66
03-28-2009, 05:22 AM
I posted the video of Starlight and Crystal spawning on my space. check it out, it's pretty amazing.

http://www.myspace.com/jellyfish248

Thanks Dave. I'll give it a try. I've been afraid to do a water change, the water's pretty gross. With a magnifying glass I can see non-fish tiny things wiggling. (yuck!) Should I be concerned about parasites?

Not at all, Jelly, if you cultured your infusoria at home from scratch, or got a culture from a biological supply house. Most of the critters in infusoria either eat algae or each other; no parasites dangerous to fish.

Not really yucky, since you drink many trillions of microbes with every sip you take from your tap, liquor or soda, but I guess you didn't want to know that . . . . :)

Dave

JellyFish248
03-29-2009, 03:08 AM
yeah, drinking microbes doesn't sound so appealing. i'll do another water change tomorrow. i made a tiny siphon out of air line, a little plastic cup and a piece of nylon. its slow but gentle and it works well enough. thanks for the advice. my little ones seem to be doing good, they're all swimming around. i'm addicted to watching them.

matthew.shelly
04-09-2009, 02:31 AM
post some pictures asap!