PDA

View Full Version : How long can discus fry live without eating?

silent_thunder
03-25-2009, 04:26 PM
The reason I ask is...

10 or so days ago I took one sponge filter out of my discus tank...put it in a bucket and kept the wather warm and ariated and this mornin...

I noticed many wigglers in the new tank I had set up for future fry...

I did put some liquid shrimp fry in when I noticed them....so

Is it unusual the wigglers can live a few weeks without eating?

Thanks

Daniel

Lady Hobbs
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm confused. You said you added this sponge to a pail 10 days ago. If it took 5 days for a hatching, and a couple days of feeding off yolk sacs, then they have only begun free swimming the last day or so.

silent_thunder
03-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I yanked the sponge filter from a tank that I had 2 sponge filters in...The discus apparently did NOT get to eat alll the eggs...

SO, the other filter went into a bucket untill I was able to set another tank up...apparently there were fry in the filter...if that makes sense...

I am just curious how long they can live that way, etc...I am new at trying to breed discus...=L=

Hope that makes sense to you...

Thx

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Are the parents still in the tank?

btate617
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
normally you want to leave them with the parents. If you are having trouble with one, most of the time the male, eating the eggs you can remove him and leave mom with the eggs to raise them. As far as what to do now, not sure good luck though.

Brian

Algenco
03-25-2009, 06:56 PM
I haven't kept up with discus rearing, but I don't think there are any sure fire methods of feeding fry for the first few weeks, they need to feed off the parents.

It may take several spawns before the parents get the hang of it, you can help by keeping disturbances to a minimum, low light, feed them and get away, don't mess with the tank while they have eggs/fry

silent_thunder
03-25-2009, 10:36 PM
No, the parents are not with them...the fry had to have been in the water I drained and or the sponge filter before I poured them into a 5 gallon bucket over a week ago...

Anyways thanks for all the answers people!

I was just amazed they were alive still...

Gemini
03-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Small fish eat small stuff. Babies eat infusoria and other stuff. If the sponge filter had run for a bit it would have lots of things on it that would feed baby fish for awhile. So they would have eaten their egg sack and then started on sponge gunk.

silent_thunder
03-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Gemini...

I was beginning to think those little things are some kinda parasite...

The sponge filter had been running a month or so...

Gemini
03-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Running a couple of days in a stocked tank would give enough stuff I would think to feed a few babies for a few days.
When I breed my corys - their first feed after their egg yolk is the stuff that sticks to the java moss in the tank. So I have java moss in the mums tank, it gets gunky, I throw it in with babies and they sit on it.

kennedpa
05-05-2009, 07:44 AM
new born Discus need to feed off the slim the mother generates when she is pregnant.