PDA

View Full Version : Pest snails on plants

Lindsey
03-25-2009, 05:56 AM
I'm considering adding some low light plants to my tank, but the plants at my store are all pretty heavily laden with tiny snails. If I buy some, is there a way I can ensure the snails are all gone before putting them into my tank? Aside from picking them off, which I plan to do anyway? I'm just worried it won't be sufficient and I'll miss a snail or two and discover a huge colony under my gravel a couple months from now!

Gemini
03-25-2009, 05:59 AM
There is a risk you will get snails into your tank. And they are a pain to get rid of!
Now when I get new plants I dip them in a 20:1 water:bleach mix. I soak them in that for 2-5 mins. I soak tough things like Java Fern for 5 mins, and weaker plants for only 2. And I run my fingers over the leaves and pull off all the visible snails. I then quarantine the plants for a week just to be safe.

Lindsey
03-25-2009, 06:15 AM
That sounds pretty foolproof though I don't have a quarantine tank. Is there anything I'd need to do afterward to ensure the bleach is all off, other than soaking/rinsing it in conditioned water? I'm a tad paranoid when it comes to chemicals and my animals, fish included. Thanks!

Gemini
03-25-2009, 06:21 AM
That sounds pretty foolproof though I don't have a quarantine tank. Is there anything I'd need to do afterward to ensure the bleach is all off, other than soaking/rinsing it in conditioned water? I'm a tad paranoid when it comes to chemicals and my animals, fish included. Thanks!
A bucket, or plastic container would be fine. Something that holds water that you can put them in.
Yep rinse super super well. I actually get myself a bucket of like dechlored ++ water. So I get the bucket and add at least twice the amount of dechlor for that amount of water and soak the plants really well in that. Then I rinse them and rinse them and rinse them and rinse them under running water. Then I soak them again in dechlored water.
Being paranoid is good! I have buckets, scrubbers, measuring cups and syringes which are only for fish use.

Lindsey
03-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Oh! Awesome, and they'll be okay without an overhead light? I can use dechlorinated water to rinse so that's all good. And yeah, I'm exactly the same way, I've got scrubbers that are specific to my tank and also specific to my various animal cages. Better safe. :)

Gemini
03-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Oh! Awesome, and they'll be okay without an overhead light? I can use dechlorinated water to rinse so that's all good. And yeah, I'm exactly the same way, I've got scrubbers that are specific to my tank and also specific to my various animal cages. Better safe. :)
Only for a short amount of time - they aren't going to grow without the light and stuff but they won't all die off either. Your going low light yes? Things like java ferns, java moss, anubias will be fine in a bucket for a week without problems. I like to leave them out of my main tank for a week in case I missed any eggs. But truthfully you could add them straight into the tank as long as your prepared that their may be a few surviving eggs. In that case though you just pick them out as you find them - don't overfeed the tank so they dont' breed and they will eventually go away.
Always better safe with the animals :D