PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Oto's

Z Fish Man
03-25-2009, 04:50 AM
I just picked up 2 new oto's from petsmart tonight. My tank came down with the new tank diatom outbreak (brown crud everywhere) and I was hoping these oto's would help clean it up a a little. They seem to be doing fine so far (been in the tank 10 mins lol). One actually has already start eating some of the diatoms off one of my broad leafed plants already. So far for the last week all my parameters have been staying steady so I hope they will b ok. Does anyone know how long it takes for this diatom stage to end?

Jaster
03-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Thats kind of up in the air. Can last days to weeks depending on your tank. The ottos will help. in the meantime, just keep wiping it off and that will help it go away faster too.

Z Fish Man
03-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Thats kind of up in the air. Can last days to weeks depending on your tank. The ottos will help. in the meantime, just keep wiping it off and that will help it go away faster too.

Ok thanks I'll just wait it out. During the night the pair of oto's pretty much destroyed most of the diatoms on the glass:hmm3grin2orange: . I think most of it should be gone by tomorrow.

terrapin24h
03-25-2009, 04:41 PM
i've found that mine will eat diatoms, when there isn't anything else to eat. Once your tank matures a bit and algae starts forming, they switch over to that and will not eat diatoms(which will die off alot once the algae kicks in). Mine apparently find all other sorts of goodies to eat, as i don't generally supplement their diet and they are all fat little buggers :) I have 4 in my 65, probably going to take that to 6 or 8 soon. I hardly ever see all 4 at once, they find the best nooks and crannies

--chris

fishlover49
03-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Yep, my Otos took care of mine and keep the tanks sparkling clean. They are some hard working little buggers! thumbs2:

Auratus001
03-27-2009, 08:26 PM
You may need to add some vegetables for them later on. Diatoms are usually common in new tanks but gradually other forms of algae will take over. Otos are not known to eat tough or hairy algae. You should watch their stomach to make sure it looks full. Blanched zucchinis and lettuce works well for these guys (as well as many other species).