PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmer

Drumachine09
02-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Is a protein skimmer absoloutly necasary for a marine tank? I dont feel like shelling out 100+ dollars for something that will take up half of the tank. Are there any cheap alternitives?

Chrona
02-20-2007, 01:34 AM
You have a 10g right? The fission nano skimmer is like 22 bucks. Not sure how effective it is though. Protein skimmers are really only neccesary for reef tanks I believe, because the organisms in reef tanks can't tolerate as much nitrate/wastes as say, clownfish in a fish only tank.

cocoa_pleco
02-20-2007, 02:02 AM
i still have my old 10g skimmer... somewhere. lol

I dont plan on using it though. Its too bulky for a 10g and im not planning on some fancy ass delicate coral, so id skip it.

cocoa_pleco
02-20-2007, 02:49 AM
allexperts said if i were to use only a ugf ill need a skimmer for high nitrate

Chrona
02-20-2007, 03:06 AM
allexperts said if i were to use only a ugf ill need a skimmer for high nitrate

The easy saltwater fish can tolerate high nitrates. It's the corals, anemone and whatnot that can't

cocoa_pleco
02-20-2007, 03:42 AM
im planning on one salt anenome, a small one, and will do water changes, so actually, screw the skimmer, since ill only have a few things in the tank

Fish Whisperer
02-20-2007, 04:33 AM
I don't care what anyone says...you do NOT have to have a skimmer. I was keeping corals for years before the skimmer was even thought of. Granted I have a 5 foot beast of a skimmer now, that does an awesome job, but I could do without it if I had to. Just be vigilant on your water changes. Regardless, the anemone is going to be a challenge.

Fishguy2727
02-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Protein skimmers aren't vital. Depending on the setup some tanks need them (at least to really cut down on the maintenance for the fishkeeper and a little flexibility on water changes. Face it, we all have a week from time to time when we just can't do water changes). But they will help. And if you can find a cheap one you might as well. The Fission nano skimmer also has a powerhead/venturi model that will work better, no need to change the wooden air diffuser every few weeks or however often it is. It does cost a little more, but it will help. I would say if you are going to do an anemone the skimmer will increase your chances of success with it.

cocoa_pleco
02-21-2007, 04:19 AM
actually, now i remember. I had a skimmer on my 10g, and it was bulky and i skipped it and everything was fine.

I dont think theyre really necessary now unless you have something something SUPER delicate

Drumachine09
02-21-2007, 04:22 AM
Would an easy mushroom polyp be better for a beginner than an anemone?

cocoa_pleco
02-21-2007, 04:26 AM
im actually asking allexperts on a fish and anenome that are hardy and can stand strong current.

I think mushrooms are easy, and xenas. I used to have a xena, and couldnt figure out why it died but now i know xena likes strong current and i never had current b4

Fish Whisperer
02-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Bubble Tip anemones are the hardiest of the clownfish hosting anemones. However, they are still considered difficult to keep, and are delicate creatures. With an established aquarium, stable environment, proper equipment and proper knowledge of their requirements they will do well. Once you can provide for one, a Bubble Tip Anemone is a good choice for a first anemone.

The best choices for beginners are some softies, I recommend the following:
Mushrooms, button polyps, sea mats, Toadstool Coral, Leather Coral, Mushroom Leather Coral and Trough Coral.

cocoa_pleco
02-22-2007, 03:48 AM
allexperts said a purple tipped anenome and oscellaris clown or yellow damsel is good for high current