PDA

View Full Version : Help with Pleco ID por favor

Poseidon
03-25-2009, 12:44 AM
I bought a pleco, from my lfs, about three months ago, and I have been doing some research in order to find out what type it is. The research has been difficult because there are so many types of plecos in the decorative fish trade. This fish is one of my favorites because it keeps the aquarium clean and is also entertaining to watch. I have attached a picture to help with the identification process. If you think that you have identified the pleco will you please let me know?..L #'s would be a plus also. I am new to this forum, but not to fish keeping. I know that these ID posts can get annoying, but hopefully you will be able to help me out. If you need a better picture let me know.

Gracias,
Poseidon

smaug
03-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Thats a common plec,they get very big.How big is your tank?I got rid of my common when he hit the 10" mark in less then a year!

allsmiles
03-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Thats a common plec,they get very big.How big is your tank?I got rid of my common when he hit the 10" mark in less then a year!

Really? Mine has grown sooo slow! He is about 7 or 8 inches now, but I've had him for 5 years. He is in a 55 gal and gets fed algae disks daily. Am I doing something wrong with him. Mine is the same, a common pleco.

btate617
03-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Really? Mine has grown sooo slow! He is about 7 or 8 inches now, but I've had him for 5 years. He is in a 55 gal and gets fed algae disks daily. Am I doing something wrong with him. Mine is the same, a common pleco.

Food, water quality, etc all play a role in growth.

Brian

Red
03-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Agreed, common pleco...

Poseidon
03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. My pleco has grown to be 6.5 inches long and is currently in my 55 gallon tank. I thought that I may have the obvious common pleco, or, a Leopard Sail Fin Pleco (L#83,165) (scientific name: Glyptoperichthys Gibbiceps). I will probably have to give him back, to my lfs, in about a year because it has doubled in size in just 4 months. I would really like to find a Gold Nugget Pleco when I have to give him away.

smaug
03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Yup,he has grown very slowly for you.If he is indeed a common plec and he is healthy then you are fortunate to have him for so long and stay so small.He should be well over a foot by now.

Oscar_freak12321
04-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Common pleco, but I've never seen that sort of red coloration on his fins before. You have lucked out on a very pretty variation!

Mynameisnotpj
04-19-2009, 07:40 AM

The size of a tank can stunt the growth of a pleco as well, but that doesn't seem to be the problem in this case.

Jv Torres
04-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Common pleco, but I've never seen that sort of red coloration on his fins before. You have lucked out on a very pretty variation!

i agree
the fins are beautiful,
can i have him? :19:

Northernguy
04-26-2009, 02:48 PM
allsmiles try feeding some cucumber,romain lettuce,spinach,Zuccinni.These are all great for your fish!
It will help to get it to grow.