PDA

View Full Version : Tiny B's Tank Journal

tinybubbles
03-24-2009, 03:08 PM
I last posted on 3/4 when I was 3 days into my FL cycle, so that means I'm about three weeks into it. I'm so close to the end I decided to celebrate by starting a tank journal! I've been imagining fish in my empty tank so long now, I actually thought I saw one in there last night!:ssuprised:

As of this morning, my water tested: Ammonia-0; Nitrite- between .5 and .25; and Nitrate- between 5 and 10. Last week I had my big Nitrite spike when it tested as high as the card would go. I'm adding enough ammonia to test around 2 every day. I just need to wait for that last little bit of nitrite to go away!

For stocking I was thinking 6-8 Neons and a pair of Bolivian Rams. I saw some at the LFS yesterday, and they were gorgeous!

I added a pic for everyone. I still need to work on taking good tank pics, but there's not a lot to see yet. The plants and driftwood I added yesterday. I really love how the wood looks in the tank, so I'm going to exchange the plant pot for a smaller one and get another piece of that same wood. I also want to get more rocks and plants. Maybe some flat rocks and lots of java fern to hide that monstrous heater! Hopefully the moss grows like crazy because I love the way it looks on the wood.

Well, that's all for now. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Northernguy
03-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Thats a nice tank!:22:
Keep up the good work!

KingFisher
03-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like things are going well. The tank looks nice!thumbs2:thumbs2:thumbs2:

sandy_n
03-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Congrats...you're off to a great start. Post some more pics when you add things to the tank! thumbs2:

tim k
03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Looks very good , waiting to put fish in is the hardest part.
Good luck

Tim K

tinybubbles
04-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I finally got my refund back, so I spent all day yesterday stimulation the economy! I got a new bed and some stuff to redo my bedroom, and......

I got fish!!! Finally!!:19:

After all my other errands, I decided to head to the lfs on my way home. I got another really nice piece of driftwood, and 6 neons! They're so beautiful! I'm definitely thinking I need a bigger school.

They made it through the trip, acclimation, and release without ever looking too stressed out. They were a little freaked out when I initially released them, hovering down in the cave under the tall piece of driftwood in the corner. But later in the evening I turned the light on so they could have some time to explore. I fed them a little and they went nuts! That seemed to make them feel more at home too, because they're using all levels of the water now and they don't hide when I walk by. Everyone was alive this morning, and everyone ate like crazy this morning. My water is still testing Am:0, ITE: 0 , ATE: 5 ish. I'm not calling victory yet, but this is encouraging. If they continue to do well over the next several days, I'll probably get some more. I'm thinking no on the Bolivian Rams, or maybe only one because 4in is pushing it for this tank. It doesn't have as much floor room as its the tall version of a 20. I'm seeing a bigger tank in my future... If the LFS can order GBR, that may be a possibility. I might just end up with a bunch of neons though. I like to watch them already.

I'll be getting more plants next week to fill out the tank and make the neons feel more at home. I've included some pictures, but they're not great. I was having trouble with the reflection from my LR window. I'll get some better ones tonight when it's dark.

robflanker
04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Tiny what size tank do you have?

It looks great and I might use yours for inspiration as I think we have similar sized ones

tinybubbles
04-07-2009, 04:54 AM
It's a 20gallon tall. 24in long x 12in deep x 16in tall. Thank you for the compliment :ssmile: I can't wait to get plants in and be done with aquascaping for a while. The more I think about it, the wilder my ideas get!

troy
04-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Nice looking setup.

Sharon
04-07-2009, 10:52 AM
A nice school, of the Tetras would be lovely!:ssmile:

Northernguy
04-07-2009, 02:28 PM
It's a 20gallon tall. 24in long x 12in deep x 16in tall. Thank you for the compliment :ssmile: I can't wait to get plants in and be done with aquascaping for a while. The more I think about it, the wilder my ideas get!
:19: Thats part of the fun! The tank looks great!
Those ideas will never stop and the deco in the tank always ends up here or there.lol
Its an ever changing environment!:hmm3grin2orange:

young_cichlid
04-07-2009, 02:33 PM
very nice tankthumbs2: you really should get the gbrs.