PDA

View Full Version : Hairless Cats? (Sphynx)

Brookfish
03-23-2009, 10:05 PM
I seen a programme last night on hairless cats and I couldn't for the
life of me see what the big attraction with them was, apparently
they are very popular and cost a lot of money, I was wondering
what you folk thought of them?
Here's a pic in case you haven't seen them before...

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp277/fishpicsmike/cat-1.jpg

Algenco
03-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I think they're gross, but can see the appeal to someone with allergies

Brookfish
03-23-2009, 10:08 PM
I think they're gross, but can see the appeal to someone with allergies

Oh I never thought of allergies, good point.

mrs fishpatrick
03-23-2009, 10:15 PM
yes but if you have allergies, would you not be better off keeping ................
thumbs2: FISH?thumbs2:
:hmm3grin2orange:

Algenco
03-23-2009, 10:17 PM
yes but if you have allergies, would you not be better off keeping ................
thumbs2: FISH?thumbs2:
:hmm3grin2orange:

Amen sister!!!!

cocoa_pleco
03-23-2009, 10:23 PM
they look ugly just like hairless guinea pigs

*Sarah*
03-23-2009, 10:31 PM
I really think beauty comes in many different forms. Some people can't appreciate a well groomed show poodle, but then someone like me (a groomer) can see the hard work, time, and dedication put into such a piece of art...same goes for "odd" looking animals.
I would love to have a sphynx as a pet some day. Not only are they interesting, but they also don't shed at all (due to lack of hair!) and their personalities are supposedly incredible. They're said to be very intelligent, active, and affectionate, much like a Siamese I've heard. I love my siamese so I think I'd get along great with a Sphynx.
As for other "hairless" creatures, like dogs, guinea pigs etc, I think they're awesome too, and I have a mostly hairless Chinese Crested Dog...my friend has a hairless guinea pig..they're all cute in their own ways...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
In case anyone was curious, here's a pic of my Chinese Crested.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2nk6uj7.jpg

Sharon
03-23-2009, 11:39 PM
She looks very well cared for, Sarah!thumbs2: I think maybe with the Sphynx, it might take me awhile to get used to it! I wonder if they get cold, easily...

Brookfish
03-24-2009, 12:14 AM
She looks very well cared for, Sarah!thumbs2: I think maybe with the Sphynx, it might take me awhile to get used to it! I wonder if they get cold, easily...

Well it's recommended that they are kept as an indoor
pet Sharon so i'm presuming yes.

*Sarah*
03-24-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm sure they get cold easily lol, even my Siamese is always in front of the heat vents when the furnace is on :) Maddie, the crested, has sweaters for the winter and T-shirts to wear outside in the summer so she doesn't get a sunburn :D.
I admit, it takes a certain kind of person to enjoy hairless pets and they're not for everyone...but to some ppl it's their uniqueness that is the appeal.

Oh and Sharon, She's spoiled ROTTEN, but she's a rescue so she deserves it :)

Red
03-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Its a personal choice, and if you like them, get them. I am not to fond of them though.

MCHRKiller
03-24-2009, 01:31 AM
My Maine Coon isnt far from a sphynx right now, poor old crazy thing is 15 years old and doesnt groom herself hardly at all anymore. So I decided to give her a buzz cut on her body, she looks a bit funny but it should be easier for us to keep up on her grooming for her. As it was we were having to give her partial baths weekly and groom her twice per day to keep mats away and she just wasnt tollerating it well.

I can see the allure of them, they are unusual...I could see myself owning one because they are supposed to have fabulous personalities. To me personality goes way further than looks :)

Lady Hobbs
03-24-2009, 03:30 AM
Awful, Awful, Awful. And too ugly for even a mother to love.

Colored dogs! Bad enough people put them in clothes, make them sit for hours to do their hair, put nail polish on their toe nails.........yikes.

Rue
03-24-2009, 04:53 AM
I quite like the hairless. I'm even on the waiting list for a kitten (a woman I know who has recently started breeding them and some Sphynx-Rex crosses).

I'm not sure that I want another cat anytime soon...but if the 'right' kitten ever pops up (has to be a nicely marked calico) - then I'll consider it more seriously (might be years...).

I am worried that our house is too drafty for one to be comfortable in the winter...and I'm not patient enough to keep them dressed in sweaters...

BTW. Most people who are allergic to cats are allergic to the saliva...NOT the hair. I suppose there might be less saliva on a bald cat though...

MCHRKiller
03-24-2009, 05:03 AM
I guess it would be easier to keep the saliva down without the hair, although I hear they do have kind of a "peach fuzz" just take a soapy damp cloth and wipe kitty off every day with some of that hypoallergenic shampoo. Dry it off and put on a sweater :)

Northernguy
03-24-2009, 05:07 AM
A freind of mine had one of those about 20yrs ago.It was the only cat he could have because someone in the house had allergies.
His had hair at the top of the ears like a lynx or a bob cat!

cocoa_pleco
03-24-2009, 05:11 AM
lol, if a cat that looked like that jumped on me in the middle of the night i would **** a brick

Mvjnz
03-24-2009, 08:35 AM
I don't particularly like them, and I also don't like the idea of picking a new family member only based on its looks, whether it be for shock value or because 'it's so pretty'. Why would you spend heaps of money on a cat that was deliberately bred when you can rescue one that needs it for free?

*Sarah*
03-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't particularly like them, and I also don't like the idea of picking a new family member only based on its looks, whether it be for shock value or because 'it's so pretty'. Why would you spend heaps of money on a cat that was deliberately bred when you can rescue one that needs it for free?

**small rant ahead***
Because there are people that actually breed them to better the breeds, without breeders all there would be are "mutt" cats. Keeping lines pure helps to ensure the ongoing existance of the many distinct breeds of cats...and dogs for that matter. The only way breeders can continue their work in bettering breeds is for people to buy their animals.
I'm all for the work of great breeders...it's no different than someone intentionally pairing 2 gorgeous severums to produce outstanding fry. The only reason rescues exist is because of peoples irresponsibility. At least good breeders are responsible about it and any that I've dealt wtih will take back ANY cat or dog that came from them so that it won't end up in a shelter.
I have both rescues and breeder pets, and I love them all, but I'll never put down the hard work of a good breeder.

***end rant***

Sharon
03-24-2009, 01:11 PM
I agree, Sarah. :ssmile: I tend to choose amimals that fit my life style, so when we owned dogs, I chose small breeds that didn't shed. That's what I wanted, and that's what I got. If a particular breed appeals to you, that's fine. You shouldn't have to feel guity for buying that animal instead of rescuing an animal that maybe doesn't fit your lifestyle...
Shelters exist because people put so little thought into acquiring a pet, and then they realize that they've made a mistake.:scry:

Mvjnz
03-24-2009, 01:39 PM
**small rant ahead***
Because there are people that actually breed them to better the breeds, without breeders all there would be are "mutt" cats. Keeping lines pure helps to ensure the ongoing existance of the many distinct breeds of cats...and dogs for that matter. The only way breeders can continue their work in bettering breeds is for people to buy their animals.
I'm all for the work of great breeders...it's no different than someone intentionally pairing 2 gorgeous severums to produce outstanding fry. The only reason rescues exist is because of peoples irresponsibility. At least good breeders are responsible about it and any that I've dealt wtih will take back ANY cat or dog that came from them so that it won't end up in a shelter.
I have both rescues and breeder pets, and I love them all, but I'll never put down the hard work of a good breeder.

***end rant***

No, they do not. They breed them solely based on appearance, not for temperament or health, that's why so many purebreds have health problems. I know someone who has two purebred cats, different breeds, and they both have dental problems at an unusually early age.

And what about all the backyard breeders? They wouldn't exist if it wasn't for purebreds and people's desire to pick cats as fashion accessories.

And what about the fact that most breeders seem to not care about their cats at all?

There is nothing you can say that will justify breeding 'pretty' cats. And what's wrong with 'mutt' cats? That's how they started, and the natural way for them to be, and they are much healthier than any purebred.

You shouldn't have to feel guity for buying that animal instead of rescuing an animal that maybe doesn't fit your lifestyle...

Yes you should. 1/3 of all dogs in shelters are purebreds, so you could rescue a dog that fits your lifestyle, instead of supporting breeding more of them while there are thousands being put to sleep.

And this argument only applies to dogs anyway, not cats, as all cats behave roughly the same way,no matter what breed they are.

*Sarah*
03-24-2009, 01:43 PM
No, they do not. They breed them solely based on appearance, not for temperament or health, that's why so many purebreds have health problems. I know someone who has two purebred cats, different breeds, and they both have dental problems at an unusually early age.

And what about all the backyard breeders? They wouldn't exist if it wasn't for purebreds and people's desire to pick cats as fashion accessories.

And what about the fact that most breeders seem to not care about their cats at all?

There is nothing you can say that will justify breeding 'pretty' cats. And what's wrong with 'mutt' cats? That's how they started, and the natural way for them to be, and they are much healthier than any purebred.

Given that this is completely OT, I'm not going to continue this discussion here. However, I'd suggest you do A LOT of research before you consider battling this debate with me. Working with animals is my life, from mixes to purebreds.

fins_n_fur
03-24-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm closing this thread before we get to the "battle" stage.