PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to keep just one tiger barb?

frank_zappa
03-23-2009, 07:43 PM
i lost 4 of my 6 tiger barbs to ich several weeks ago. i had to separate the two survivors because one was really abusing the other. they both seem to be doing fine, one in the 46 gallon and the other in the 10 gallon. i do not want to add more tiger barbs to make a school. will they be happy or should i try to find them a new home with other tiger barbs?

btate617
03-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I would try and find a new home as they do prefer to be in groups.

Brian

PostalPenguin
03-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Any specific reason you don't want to fill out the school?

frizzlefish
03-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Aren't they less aggressive in a school?

Red
03-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Aren't they less aggressive in a school?

Very, I would try to find new homes for the both of them, or you will start to see nip fins of the other fish in the tank,:22:

frank_zappa
03-24-2009, 12:55 AM
i havent been in a rush yet because i havent seen either one be aggressive towards others yet, but i understand it is a matter of time. i was kind of hoping that people would say they would be alright as is....the only reason i did not want to fill out the school was because i know that they get fairly large and i will need at least 6.

looking at what i have in the tank, what would you suggest i do? do i have room to make a school of tiger barbs and could i also add a couple more cories? perhaps i should find a new home for the 2 serpae tetras and a couple of the danios to make room, and then just add more cories and tiger barbs??

i guess i just would like suggestions of what i should do, and about whether or not i have room in my tank. i am not totally opposed to the tiger barbs

in your suggestions, feel free to move fish into the 10 gallon if you think it would work. i plan on adding a few more julii cories to that tank

Red
03-24-2009, 12:57 AM
This is what I would do...
Ditch the black skirts, keep the danios, get 6-7 more TB's. Then add some cories.

smaug
03-24-2009, 01:00 AM
I have just 2 tigers in my planted tank,they show no aggression whatsoever,to each other or there tank mates.

frank_zappa
03-25-2009, 12:46 AM
ive decided that the danios are good for the rainbow shark to chase around, even if he does hurt one from time to time. i definitely would like to add more cories; i want to have probably 6 or 7 emeralds total. i would really like to try keeping a couple of kribs, and if i go with more tiger barbs i probably could not keep any.

the single tiger barbs seem to be doing just fine, in both tanks, so for now at least i think it is alright. i will be keeping an eye out for any aggression, although that mainly comes from the rainbow shark. the single one will eventually have to leave the ten gallon when it gets bigger, but it is still pretty small.

do i have room in my current setup to add a pair of kribs? i will likely give the serpae tetras back to the fish store. assume that i will also be adding cories. the tiger barb will likely go back to the store if he starts to cause too much trouble. so far though, he has shown no aggression towards the others. i realize that could change with time.

smaug
03-25-2009, 01:08 AM
why are you giving back the serps?And yes you have plenty pf room for a pair of kribs.

frank_zappa
03-25-2009, 01:30 AM
well, i was thinking so that i could make some room...you think they can stay and still add a couple kribs, and a few more cories? i dont want it too crowded.

smaug
03-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Serpaes are unobtrusive,get 3-4 more,they hang out mid level and produce very little waste,I think you could still get the kribs.If it were me Id rehome the danios.

frank_zappa
03-26-2009, 02:11 PM
i do like the serps and they do not really bother anyone. they have gotten to be very brightly colored, too.

i like having danios, although i do think i could lose a few of them. i think maybe if it werent for them the shark would chase something else. perhaps i will move a few more to the 10 gallon.

i am on the lookout for a pair of kribs. i am also on the lookout for a 20 gallon or so that i can shift some fish over to....

maybe the answer is just to get an additional tank

Northernguy
03-26-2009, 02:17 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: The answer is always I need another tank!

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2009, 02:19 PM
You do not have to keep fish you don't want or like. It makes little sense to me to run out and get a bunch more if you don't care for the fish. However, if you do like the fish, a larger group would be happier and not fight as much as the two you had. More females to males.

I have one zebra danio. Can't stant him and he won't die. I'm not about to run out and buy him from friends. He's been happy chasing himself for the last year.