PDA

View Full Version : Moving Into A New Tank

drewie
03-23-2009, 02:01 AM
alright heres the deal, i currently have a 20 gallon tank in my room. i will be purchasing a 55 gallon this coming week.. heres the question. i have 4 fish in the tank now, that are going to go into the 55 gallon, the 20 gallon is in the same spot as were the 55 gallon is going..how do i move my fish into the new tank? and what pro cautions do i need to take?

korith
03-23-2009, 05:00 AM
With the larger tank it's more important than ever to make sure it's nice and level, so before you fill up the tank with water, make sure that stand is nice and level. Once it's filled up with water, you haven't got a chance on moving it. Test the tank to make sure it's got no leaks. I would take water from the 20g and put it into a temporary container and add the fish to it, along with the filter. Then you can take down the 20g, set up the 55g, and move everything over. You'll want to move the 20g filter to the 55g too, or at the very least add the media from the old filter to the new filter for the 55g. May want to hold off adding the fish to the 55g till the heater brings the water temp to whatever you keep your fish at.

55g will be nice, when I upgraded my 20 to a 55g, fish that were lethargic in the 20g became very active in the 55.

fishlover49
03-23-2009, 12:50 PM
I just did the same thing last week. I saved all the water from my 20 gallon that I could and dumped it in the new tank. I put my fish in a five-gallon pail in some of the old tank water and I also stuck a heater in the pail. My fish were in the pail for close to two hours and they are all alive and kicking. thumbs2: I am running two filters in the new tank right now. The one out of the old tank, and a new filter that I will eventually be switching over to.

I used a level on all sides of the tank to make sure everything was good there.

Congrats on your new tank!! thumbs2:

Mynameisnotpj
04-19-2009, 06:40 AM
I am planning on moving my fish from a ten gallon to a ~30 gallon in a few weeks. My biggest problem is that the move is about an hour away. I will be able to set up the new tank ahead of time, so it will be ready as soon as the fish get there, the only problem is moving them from the old one to the new one.
How do you move ten fish to a new tank an hour away?

korith
04-19-2009, 07:28 AM
I'm assuming the fish are fairly small in size, since you had them in a 10g. You can put them into plastic bags with some water. Just like you got them when you bought them at the store. Then transport them that way. Or you could use small plastic containers add water and fish to it. Keep the filter media wet, you can put it into a bag/container with water.

You should be fine moving the fish that way. May want to put the bags into a cooler, to keep them in the dark and help avoid any major temp changes.

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2009, 10:34 AM
And leave enough room for the filters between tank and wall. I did that deal once. Had to tear the whole tank down to move it half an inch!

MrJim
04-19-2009, 12:38 PM
And leave enough room for the filters between tank and wall. I did that deal once. Had to tear the whole tank down to move it half an inch!
That's how the best lessons are learned..

robflanker
04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
If you have a spare filter, you could put that in your tank now with the other one going as well. That way you'd have two sets of filtered media - then take one to your new place in water, get the new 30g tank up and cycled with the media (whilst your old tank is still going with the existing filter).

That way when you break down the 10g, your 30g is cycled and ready to go immediately.

Just a thought as i'll be doing the same thing in a couple of months and know i need a bigger filter for my 30g.

f.lanzarone
05-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I just did this a few days ago, I drained my 26 gal a little less than half, moved the tank AND stand together, be careful when moving the original tank I broke my tank trying to move the tank alone, you need to move the tank and the stand if there is some water in it, then I put my fish in a ten gal for two days with a large filter and they were fine. I moved all of my gravel from the 26 into the new tank and everything seems to work out fine.

As for moving an hour away just ask any pet store for ten bags I'm sure they will give it to you, bag all the fish separately because they will most likely get stressed and can harm eachother

Good luck all!!

tetra_danio_girl
05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
I moved my fish from two ten gallons to one 40 gallon tank and did it in stages.

Set up the 40gal, filled it about 3/4 with water. Did a partial water change to my 10 gal tanks, and put that water into the new tank. Put a new filter into the 10gal that had my danios in it, and took the biofilter from that tank and put it into my 10gal. Then filled up the rest of the 40 gal

A few days later, I moved my danios over.

Kept them in there for a few days and then moved my tetras and platys over.

After that, it was just a matter of watching the levels, adding stresszyme when the ammonia spiked a bit, and they all seem to be doing fine.

Yeah, it was probably overkill, especially since I had plants and stuff, but I've lost too many fish in moves, and doing a partial water change in the 40-gal isn't as easy as it was in the 10-gals.