PDA

View Full Version : Question about quarintine tank

KneeKickLou
02-19-2007, 06:51 PM
I going to be setting up a 10gallon q tank. This tank is going to be for mbuna cichlids so should I have a Ph buffering substate or keep it bare bottom? I have some extra crushed coral laying around I was going to use that. I also use cichlid salt and proper ph in my main tank so should I use that in my quarintine also? Thanks in advance for the help.

Lady Hobbs
02-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Too small for mbuna's I believe. I think they should have at least a 30.

Mbuans can be aggressive little buggers and you will see a bunch of it if they can't get away from one another. By the time you add rocks and caves, there will be no room for fish.

KneeKickLou
02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Too small for mbuna's I believe. I think they should have at least a 30.
Well the main tank is 75 this is just going to be used when I get my new fish to hold them for a few weeks to make sure they aren't carrying anything. The fish will only be prob 2" at most when I buy them. You think this will still be too small?

cocoa_pleco
02-19-2007, 07:14 PM
if its a small mbuna, like a m.auratus, it should be okay

Incredulous_Ed
02-19-2007, 08:53 PM
I going to be setting up a 10gallon q tank. This tank is going to be for mbuna cichlids so should I have a Ph buffering substate or keep it bare bottom? I have some extra crushed coral laying around I was going to use that. I also use cichlid salt and proper ph in my main tank so should I use that in my quarintine also? Thanks in advance for the help.
The water in the Q tank should be as close to the tank that you are going to put them in as possible.