PDA

View Full Version : Impacted Molars in rodents

Wild Turkey
03-22-2009, 10:44 PM
One of my old females has developed a large abscess ive since diagnosed an impacted molar. Apparently its common it older rats but this is the first time ive seen or heard of it and ive been keeping them my whole life. Im wondering, does anyone know of anything i could try to help the old girl? I checked a rat forum and it didnt look promising, the one post about it that had good responses the guy ended up euthing the rat, and she looked about at the stage mine is now, possibly not even as bad:scry:

I cant get surgery for the rat so thats out. Im willing to try pretty much anything...the rat is curious, and bites. I have no ideas about maybe putting it to sleep and draining the thing, or trying. How would i put a rat to sleep? what do i use? is there a better way? Just want to make sure ive exhausted every option.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Sharon
03-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Gosh, I have no idea how to help but I wish you well with it. Salt water would help cleanse it, but I have no idea how you'd get a rat to rinse with salt water, several times daily....

smaug
03-23-2009, 12:16 AM
There is no confident way you could go about doing this yourself.Maybe her race is run,Ive had absecces in the past and they are excrutiating.How old is she?

Fishguy2727
03-23-2009, 03:02 AM
As with anything prevention is better than a cure. I know it can be an issue with guinea pigs (what I have) and to help them they need a constant unending supply of timothy hay. Since they have to chew it their molars and incisors are kept at healthy lengths.

I don't think there is a non-vet cure for this case.

I know many may not find it humane, but I have had to knock out tons of rats to feed snakes at my old work.

Wild Turkey
03-23-2009, 03:13 AM
I wouldnt be knocking it out fishguy... I'll have to make a co2 chamber. Unless thats what you meant but i assume you just meant physically?

understandably, being knocked out is probably more humane than being eaten alive by a snake, but when you euth your pet rodents you need to sever or break the spine instantly, use co2, or administer the right amount of drugs which sad to say the humane and not humane doses are usually very close so it doesnt seem like the best method to me...though i have used it in the past.

Co2 is easy, clean, puts them to sleep basically. No blood
Plus as fishkeepers most of us already have all the supplies for it sitting infront of us, so theres no reason to just smash on the thing when the humane way is right there and its your pet, not a food item.

Feeder rats are a whole nother kettle of fish. A part of your dedication to the snake.. i made my dedication to the rats so I have to go about it the best way possible, like someone would for their dog.

Anyway, thanks guy that was kind of the answer i was expecting but not hoping... she is over 3 years old maybe 4 so yes she has had a good run.

mxgibby911
03-23-2009, 04:30 AM
This may not be much help but i would look to see how it is treated in humans and see if there are any treatments that could possibly cross over to your "patient". And maybe look for some scientist or researcher such a college professor and maybe they could help. Good luck

mommy1
03-23-2009, 06:27 AM
are there any vets in your area that treat small animals and livestock. perhaps one could give you an antibiotic and the proper dose. wouldnt help with the impacted moler but it would help the abscess. good luck with whatever decision you make.:11:

Rue
03-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Practically speaking, this is what I would do:

Take her to the vet to see if there is an easy fix.

There probably won't be, but if there is it would be nice to know.

Let her live as long as she's otherwise still enjoying her days.

Be prepared to euthanize when you see her quality of life has deteriorated.

I've had 3 pet rats (before allergies made it impossible), I know how attached you grow to them. They are so personable.

Rue
03-23-2009, 02:30 PM
BTW...part of the trick is finding the right vet.

I'm lucky in that I have a pragmatic one - he knows the fine line between treating and not over-treating...

Wild Turkey
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I agree, finding a good vet can be hell sometimes, just like finding a good doctor.

Thanks for all the help rue, i am quite fond of her even though she bites we have bonded quite a bit.

I will call around to a few vets and compare what they say about it.