PDA

View Full Version : bad emerald crab?

troy1976
03-22-2009, 10:12 PM
i am away at work and my girlfriend is watching and taking care of aquarium, she informed me last nite that it looked like my sixline wrasse was gasping for air and hiding, i didnt think much of it as i am aware that they like to hide and stuff, so just told her to keep an eye on him. now today she called me and said that the wrasse was a gonner and it looked like my dottyback had some damage to him as well. i have heard that when emerald crabs get bigger they could become dangerous, they have yet to attack anything living in the tank except for picking at the rocks and such, also i have had them for only about 2 months and i would have to say their body is maybe 1 inch. i dont believe that there is anything to do with my water cause it was tested yesterday and parimeters were spot on. so my question is this could they have turned into evil little killers or possibly wrasse and dotty got into it and little ole dotty killed the wrasse. please let me know before i try to take crabs back to LFS, if they will even take them now.

kaybee
03-23-2009, 03:35 AM
...i have heard that when emerald crabs get bigger they could become dangerous...i would have to say their body is maybe 1 inch...so my question is this could they have turned into evil little killers or possibly wrasse and dotty got into it and little ole dotty killed the wrasse.

I'm thinking the two fish got into a fight. I would imagine that a 6-line wrasse and dottyback would be too feisty for a emerald to tackle. Dottybacks can be aggressive and a 1" emerald crab is too small to be much of a threat.

troy1976
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
ok thank you for info i knew that the dotty could get aggressive and the wrasse as well, they were the last 2 fish i added i wouldnt have thought that the dotty could kill the wrasse but i am still new to all this, the wrasse would chase the dotty around a bit and the dotty would just swim away and hide. maybe he just had enough

rageybug
03-23-2009, 05:28 PM
I'dsay there is no chance the crab did it. Those fish are way too fast and aggressive to get nipped by the crab. Sounds like you missed out on a heavy weight fish scrap.. too bad.

dogger424
07-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Troy - I can see how you may have thought the emerald crab was the culprit. I had a emerald crab that was on the larger side (for and emerald crab) and just by his appearance thought he would nip at my smaller fish.