PDA

View Full Version : dismantling fluval canister filter

se7enhedd
03-22-2009, 08:05 PM
hi,
I'm new to the fish-keeping game. I've a fluval 103 external filter. it's been set up and running for a few months now, but is getting harder and harder to get apart for cleaning. I've resorted to prising it apart with a screwdriver but even that is difficult. I'm worried I'm going to crack the canister because it requires such force.
Has anyone any tips or methods for getting these things apart! :)

thanks

Lady Hobbs
03-22-2009, 08:11 PM
I have one like that I have used a screwdriver to open since the first day I had it. It's just a tight seal. You could run some vasoline on the seal and that may help. It's what I plan to do if I ever have some vasoline in the house.

Sharon
03-22-2009, 11:13 PM
My 305 is like that as well...I always have to get my husband to open it. If you use a screw driver, be careful you don't damage the seal. :ssmile:

terrapin24h
03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
careful prying with a screwdriver. If you damage the seat or oring you have a problem far worse than not getting your canister filter open :)

My 05 series is like yours too, and i manage to get it to open by bracing my hands on the clamps and then applying alternating lifting pressure to the sides of the pump head--"walking" the head out of the can. Once the seal on one side "pops" it comes out very easy. Keep the sealing areas lubed with petroleum jelly

--chris

terrapin24h
03-25-2009, 04:57 PM
I just took mine apart last night to check it. What i found easier was this:
--set can on counter in front of you
--grip top of can just below sealing rim on the sides near the front of the can
--take your thumbs and apply pressure to the front surface of the can top(pump head) in kind of a rollin of kneading motion

It took a few seconds to work but eventually the seal popped. Because i wasn't using alot of force, it let go gently and didn't get water everywhere. Mine is fairly new, so i'm sure once i've had it apart a couple more times it will lossen up. How old is yours?

--chris

Dixie
03-26-2009, 02:14 AM
I have the same filter that I got free off of freecycle.org (sweet deal). I don't have trouble getting it open but the one long compartment that runs down the side with a sponge type thing in it won't come out. It looks like someone took a skrewdriver to it at one time but I'm afraid to. The guy at the LFS told me someone had probably put it in upsidedown or backwards or something. He said to bring it in and he would try to get it out but that it might crack the case (like I want that to happen).