PDA

View Full Version : Hermit crabs?

Shea
03-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Who has them? Any info on them? could anyone direct me into a decent forum? Something equivalent to this one but for crabs, hermit crabs, etc...

My girlfriend wants a hermit crab habitat. Would like to do some research and what not before me and her dive into something we may not be cut out to do right now.

Shea
03-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Anyone? I'd like to get this for her asap.

Rue
03-21-2009, 07:48 PM
We've had them...but weren't successful. I think they're hard to keep unless you're willing to spend quite a lot of effort to provide the proper substrate and humidity.

I know we followed the care books to a T, but I think I still couldn't keep the humidity high enough.

We used special sand, but you might have more luck using the mulch-like product (coconut fibre?).

They need places to climb. A dish of FW and SW. Varied diet. They need lots of shells to either exchange or grow into.

They do best in groups. They're gregarious. At the very least get 2. But I think 3-5 do better.

Get as large an aquarium as you can...they've very active...need lots of room to move. We started with a 10g, but I could see that was way too small. Even the 20g didn't have enough room to move...

Shea
03-21-2009, 09:44 PM
We've had them...but weren't successful. I think they're hard to keep unless you're willing to spend quite a lot of effort to provide the proper substrate and humidity.

I know we followed the care books to a T, but I think I still couldn't keep the humidity high enough.

We used special sand, but you might have more luck using the mulch-like product (coconut fibre?).

They need places to climb. A dish of FW and SW. Varied diet. They need lots of shells to either exchange or grow into.

They do best in groups. They're gregarious. At the very least get 2. But I think 3-5 do better.

Get as large an aquarium as you can...they've very active...need lots of room to move. We started with a 10g, but I could see that was way too small. Even the 20g didn't have enough room to move...

Awesome info. Thanks! I got alot of research to do it seems. Sounds like a bit much for me but hey if she wants it and is willing to take care of it like she says then I may give it a shot.

Florida has a lot of humidity:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
03-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Yes! You might be fine there and not have the issues we did. We live a desert-like Northern pocket...very very dry...

They can live 20 years I believe, so it's worth it to start out properly...

DrNic
03-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I had a large group when I was a kid. My dad built us a 4ft X 4ft X 2ft enclosure. We got ~15 of them of different sizes. They lasted more than 5 years before we decided to sell the whole unit when we moved to a new house.

We used half coconut fiber and half sand. Different crabs definitely preferred different substrates. We also used large aluminum cooking trays cut down for water and food sources throughout the setup.

Although we had blocks and other objects for them to climb on, after about a year someone had suggested putting in small fake trees typically used for climbing lizards. Sure enough the crabs climbed right up! We ended up getting a small plant (ficus I think??) and put it in the middle. We would regularly see the crabs up in the tree just walking around. (We also found that it was important to keep the extra shells out from under the tree in case of falling crabs.)