PDA

View Full Version : True Shark

NickFish
03-19-2009, 06:41 PM
I wasn't sure which section this would go in.....
Predatory fish or SW? Either way....

I just came back from vacation in the bahamas. While there I snorkled in the open ocean, without any sort of special suit or chain mail protection, with grey carribean reef sharks for hours. They are truely beautiful creatures, very personable and love to be patted (call me crazy). I'm sold.

For my next thousand dollar mega-project, I want to go big. Really big.
I'm setting up an indoor SW concrete aquarium/pond.

The one fish I really want to keep is a shark, or preferably more than one.

A TRUE shark.

Not a cyprinid that looks like a shark, not a shark egg invert and not a bottom dwelling nurse shark.

A TRUE shark.

Remember, I have access to about everything. I can get pretty much any species out there, except those that are critically endangered.
Money is no object, space is of no concern.
The concrete tank can easily top several thousand gallons. The only issue is that my basement is only about 38' across, so the tank can not top 20' in length if possible. If that doesn't work I may have to build an extension on the house.

Here's my question.

What kind of shark would be best?

Blacktip, carribean reef, grey reef, lemon?

Right now I'm leaning towards grey reef sharks, only because they would be the easiest to obtain and stay "small" relatively. As a result I may be able to keep a trio of sharks in that tank.

I doubt anyone on here has kept this guys, but I'm sure the experts know something.
What to feed? Minimum tank size? Temperment? Exact species? How much this is going to cost me?

Anything to get me started.

Thanks!

Rue
03-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Well, as you know it's NOT recommended. Good reason for that.

I think if you really want access to a shark, your best bet is to get a job at a public aquarium...

Having said that, the bamboo (epaulette) sharks are your best bet - they grow to 3'.

NickFish
03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Well, as you know it's NOT recommended. Good reason for that.

I think if you really want access to a shark, your best bet is to get a job at a public aquarium...

Having said that, the bamboo (epaulette) sharks are your best bet - they grow to 3'.

Why? Whats the reason it is not recommended? Because they are expensive? Because they are difficult to keep? Because they are dangerous? I haven't lost a fish to disease in over 10 years, I've been doing this my whole life. I made more money last month than many people do in a whole year (not to brag or anything). I've handled animals and fish that are capable of killing a person, but I am always careful and have never had a serious injury. I'm smart enough not to jump in with the guy. I have the resources, I have the experience.
And I want the challenge!
I really appreciate the concern Rue, but stuff like this is what I dream of!

Public aquarium would be a fun summer job. I used to have a job at MarineLand. Only problem there is getting a degree in Marine Biology to actually work with the sharks is more difficult and expensive than setting up a really big tank. :hmm3grin2orange:
Besides, who wouldn't want a 7' predator in their basement? It doesn't matter how rough a day you've had when you come home to a reef shark, lol. That'll cheer you up! :hmm3grin2orange:

Bamboo sharks are cute, but they're not the agile predator I have in mind.
Think bigger, forget the common restrictions of conventional everyday aquariums.

I want to go beyond the traditional accepted standards of private aquariums.
Think bigger, much bigger.

Rue
03-19-2009, 09:10 PM
...because it's not fair to the fish...

In an ideal world you could argue it's not fair to smaller fish either, but the effect is magnified with a shark. They need MILES of room to move.

The bamboo shark is different, it lives in tighter quarters.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

unleashed
03-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Your tank that you are planning should be fine for species such as the white-tip reef shark.

These are phenomenal nocturnal predators and would look awesome hunting under a blue light

NickFish
03-19-2009, 10:28 PM
...because it's not fair to the fish...

In an ideal world you could argue it's not fair to smaller fish either, but the effect is magnified with a shark. They need MILES of room to move.

The bamboo shark is different, it lives in tighter quarters.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

And tetras live off the amazon river, the longest river in the world.

Doesn't mean they aren't still happy in a 10g tank, no one is saying you need 6,437 km for tetras. Thats how long the amazon river is after all, and it is the tetras natural habitat.
Just because it isn't what they have in their natural habitat doesn't mean they can't be completely happy in aquaria. They have tons of room, but they don't need it. Only because its there.
I know you said the effect is magnified with a shark, but a 5' shark in a 25' tank would be equivalent of an oscar in a 125g. More than enough by conventional standards. Just because its not commonplace doesn't mean its not impossible. If we take regular aquarium knowledge and apply it on a much larger scale. Sharks are no faster swimmers than most fish we keep, probably even less so.
I see where you are coming from, but even the marine biologist with PhD's in stuff like this will say sharks can be kept in tanks of the size I'm considering. I know of government wild-life organizations that keep these guys in smaller tanks than that.

My local BigAls has black-tip reef sharks, even larger than greys, in an 8' cylindrical tank. I would obviously go larger than that but even in a tank that size I see no stress whatsoever.

Your tank that you are planning should be fine for species such as the white-tip reef shark.

These are phenomenal nocturnal predators and would look awesome hunting under a blue light
Not a bad idea. My only concern would be that they are prone to sitting on the bottom doing nothing for the daylight hours. I suppose though I could make it night in the tank during day, or simply have no lights at all....I'll give that some thought. Not my ideal, but it could be fun to keep.
It would be difficult to keep other fish with it though. With the other sharks I could probably avoid most predation by keeping them well fed, but white tips would probably go after them regardless....hmmmmmmm...

Red
03-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Nick,
I have no clue what I am doing or anything. So I am going to be a supporter and say good luck. Once everything is setup and whatever you do, I bet its going to look awesome. First thing though is to said me so pics of that 450 cough cough. And then I am going to declare your house a zoo, and I am going to come and visit!
Good luck and keep us updated!

NickFish
03-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Nick,
I have no clue what I am doing or anything. So I am going to be a supporter and say good luck. Once everything is setup and whatever you do, I bet its going to look awesome. First thing though is to said me so pics of that 450 cough cough. And then I am going to declare your house a zoo, and I am going to come and visit!
Good luck and keep us updated!

LOL, in good time sev!

And you're welcome over anytime you want, as long as you pay the admission fee!

AABatteries
03-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Talked to him in chat about the tank. He said he won't be showing and FTS's untill he's "done" with it. l:

The white tip would probably be your best bet, size wise. Average length of 3-4 feet max 6 feet. You probably already knew that, but oh well.

Rue
03-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Many shark species travel miles (costal migration)...I don't think tetras travel quite as far - but if you can find a study that says they do, let me know. :hmm3grin2orange:

BTW...I don't condone having Oscars either...I think they need a much larger tank than most of people keep them in.

Even a ~300g tank I've seen them in looks to be too small for a full-grown fish.

Again...just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

NickFish
03-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Many shark species travel miles (costal migration)...I don't think tetras travel quite as far - but if you can find a study that says they do, let me know. :hmm3grin2orange:

BTW...I don't condone having Oscars either...I think they need a much larger tank than most of people keep them in.

Even a ~300g tank I've seen them in looks to be too small for a full-grown fish.

Again...just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Migration......now why do sharks migrate again?

Isn't it find warmer water.

I have a heater though. Or really, a series of heaters. The water is always the same temperature, they don't need to migrate.

Lemme see if I can think of another example.
I'll bet some of the birds you and I love to keep also migrate frequently. Budgies for example move hundreds of miles to find water. Yet, when water is always provided that urge goes away.
And your birds are still happy dispite not being able to fly from city to city, correct?

I do see what you are saying Rue. And its nice sometimes to have an opposing view on a thread to keep things in better perspective.

Rue
03-19-2009, 11:42 PM
...when I see you with your 7' shark perched on your shoulder, sharing some food, and laughing together at Simpson's reruns...

I'll revoke my opinion...:hmm3grin2orange:

NickFish
03-19-2009, 11:49 PM
...when I see you with your 7' shark perched on your shoulder, sharing some food, and laughing together at Simpson's reruns...

I'll revoke my opinion...:hmm3grin2orange:

Ok....I'm fairly certain that doesn't relate to much of anything...........funny though.

Don't be so sure though. With a little training and power-evolving we could give it a shot. Although it would be cool to see a shark do what my budgie is doing right now....hanging upside down from my stereo speaker. That would impress me.

Jacko
03-19-2009, 11:53 PM
I think you should go for it Nick, it would be awesome to see a DIY thread going on it.thumbs2:

In case you haven't already read it, here's a great article to read:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45035

Hope to see pics as it comes along, personally I'd go with black tips since they look cool, you can't really decide on which one to go with until you have the final tank size figured out IMO.

Rue
03-20-2009, 12:18 AM
My point was that some animals do better in captivity than others. Parrots are gregarious, social creatures - who are herbivores for the most part (some will eat meat, but irregularly - my Amazon loves pork chops for example:hmm3grin2orange: ). When hand-raised and reared properly most adapt well to their constricted environment. They interact with people on a cognitive level (we can debate this another time).

Other birds do not do as well in a domestic/pet situation.

While smaller raptors can be held captive and trained, you don't see many people keeping eagles and vultures as pets.

Parrots are not domesticated animals, but have been kept as pets for thousands of years...we have learned a lot about their behaviour and needs in that time period.

Same with chickens, come to think on it...

travie
03-20-2009, 01:20 AM
If the right size tank and proper care requirements are given so that the animal can live its fullest life, then do it. Might advance the hobby in some way or another.

cocoa_pleco
03-20-2009, 03:43 AM
i would say bamboo shark too. too many people stuff them in 150g's. a tank like the one youre planning would be perfect

NickFish
03-20-2009, 11:07 AM
While smaller raptors can be held captive and trained, you don't see many people keeping eagles and vultures as pets.

Funny you say that! I man who owns a golden eagle just took up residence down the street from me. Totally legal around if you get the proper paperwork done. It sure has kept the rodent population in check, and it will fly right to him and perch on his arm like any parrot. He keeps it in a large aviary in his house. I haven't seen it myself, but he tells me its just like a parrot cage but way bigger in terms of everything. Just like a shark tank is like any concrete SW tank, just way bigger in terms of everything. Raptors have been "domesicated", if you can use that term loosely, much longer than parrots.

But lets not get into an avian discussion here, lol. It might be getting a little off topic!

I'm going to contact some contractors and engineers this week. I'll see if something like this is even possible before I get too far into it.

labnjab
03-20-2009, 11:30 AM
I'd like to see a tank that size as a reef:hmm3grin2orange: but thats just me. I say go for it. I've always wanted a shark tank since I was a kid

NickFish
03-20-2009, 11:36 AM
I'd like to see a tank that size as a reef:hmm3grin2orange: but thats just me. I say go for it. I've always wanted a shark tank since I was a kid

LOL, I'd probably have to destroy a few square miles of reef to get enough corals and LR. Not to mention the lighting! Anyone got 12 dozen metal halides lying around? :hmm3grin2orange:

Glenn_F
05-07-2009, 04:00 AM
If you have that kind of space and the money its a great thing to be able to do. The white tip reef has the best track record of sharks in captivity and tends to be on the less aggressive end of the spectrum, however they are a schooling shark and a one flying solo will generally die rather than thrive. Lemons are way too aggressive, get too large, and need more space to put in something that size. Bulls, Grey Reef, Sandbar, Blacktips... same story. Spiny Dogfish Shark is a TRUE shark and would do well and only gets to about 5 ft in captivity so a pair is possible in the size youre talking. Wobegong, Carpet and Nurse sharks all do well and can be amazing too... dont rwrite them off. If youre truly serious you should look at expanding the area to put the environment and bone up on your info(alot of the sharks in the size range your talking need company) so you dont run the risk of losing one of these amazing animals.