PDA

View Full Version : 8 days cycling

bigbrad73
03-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I am on the eight day with my fish in the tank and I am still seeing no amonia or nitrites or nitrates. Shouldnt I be seeing it? I put the carbon filter from my 10 gallon in there and a sponge that I put in the 10gallon for 3 days. Or has it already cycle. Doesnt seem posible. Also its a 55 gallon. let me know what you all think, thanks.

fins_n_fur
03-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Remind us what your stocking is: number and types of fish, please. You may have a low bio load which is why it's taking time for the cycle to get started.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Agreed. Knowing what kind of fish and how many of each you have will be very helpful. Also, what kind of test kit are you using?

Northernguy
03-19-2009, 02:04 PM
If you are cycling with fish get some Tetra Safe Start.It works really well for giving new tanks a quick cycle.
If you have fish you should have some ammonia in the tank by now.

bigbrad73
03-19-2009, 02:20 PM
3 gouramis, 2 angles, 3 serpa tetras. also I used stability for the first seven days.

Northernguy
03-19-2009, 02:45 PM
3 gouramis, 2 angles, 3 serpa tetras. also I used stability for the first seven days.
Stability doesn't seem to work as well.If you can get the tetra stuff you will have better results.
You should have some kind of readings by now.
How old is your test kit,they have a shelf lifeof 1yr.
Liquid kits a far better and more exact than test strips.

bigbrad73
03-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I bought it last week. I dont know how old it is though. there is no telling how long it has been sitting on the shelf. Its a pretty busy store though. You never know with that kind of stuff. You dont know how long its been in the warehouse.

Northernguy
03-19-2009, 03:04 PM
I bought it last week. I dont know how old it is though. there is no telling how long it has been sitting on the shelf. Its a pretty busy store though. You never know with that kind of stuff. You dont know how long its been in the warehouse.
There should be a date on there somewhere!
What are you using,strips or liquid?

bigbrad73
03-19-2009, 03:29 PM
strips no date

Northernguy
03-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Take a sample of your water to your lfs and have them test it.There is probably something there that your kit cannot detect.
You may want to look into a liquid master test kit.

bigbrad73
03-19-2009, 03:33 PM
thanks for the help

remysmom
03-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Take a sample of your water to your lfs and have them test it.There is probably something there that your kit cannot detect.
You may want to look into a liquid master test kit.

BigBrad - I'm new to this too and I struggled with the test strips, I took the advice I got here and bought an API Master FreshWater Kit .... best purchase ever! I have no difficulty taking accurate readings now. It will be a huge help to you.

cheers

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Could be between the stability and the used filter media, you are not going to go thru a full fledged cycle. I don't know as Stability is supposed to be used daily, is it? I've never used it so don't know what the directions are.

Water volume has much to do with the readings you are getting, as well. Like 12 tetra's in a 10 gallon will give huge toxic levels but throw 12 tetra's in a 55 gallon and your toxins will be very, very low and with the added Stability.........? Not much, which is why it's pretty safe to cycle larger tanks with fish.

Using that sponge was useless, really, if it was only in the 10 gallon for three days but the filter pad is a big help.

You may want to hold back on the Stability for now and see if those tests change any. Do no cleaning.

edited to add: Found it

Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 40 L (10 gallons*) on the first day with a new aquarium. Then use 1 capful for each 80 L (20 gallons*) daily for 7 days. Fish and other aquatic species may be introduced at any time as long as dosage is maintained for 7 days. For optimum biofilter performance use 1 capful for each 40 L (10 gallons*) once a month or with each water change and whenever introducing new fish or whenever medicating an aquarium.