PDA

View Full Version : Fast cycle or not

Chicklet
03-18-2009, 01:01 PM
I previously posted about doing a cycle using ammonia..
I finally managed to find some pure ammonia with nothing added to it...

So I started the 20 gallon about 3 days ago.... keeping it at 4.0 ammonia
& raised the temp in the tank...

I took some gravel from another tank and some fake ornaments,,,,

Decided to check the nitrites this morning and I'm getting a reading of 1.6

isn't that early to be getting nitrite reading? or does that sound right

I can't check for Nitrates yet because I ran out of the stuff and they won't have another shipment in till Thursday..(Decided I'm gonna buy the BIG master kit they sell this time, I think)........... I have some ammonia. Ph and Nitrite left...

fins_n_fur
03-18-2009, 01:08 PM
The gravel from the other tank is helping to get things moving. Any way to get some of the filter material from the other tank to the one that is cycling? The cycle will go even faster.

Chicklet
03-18-2009, 01:18 PM
filter material from the other tank to the one that is cycling? The cycle will go even faster.

Yes I realize that But I decided against taking any...

I bought several other sponge filters and added to this tank... Figured it would give me extra filters for future tanks...

====
So I guess this is normal,,,
thats what I wanted to be sure of... Thanks so much

Wild Turkey
03-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes I realize that But I decided against taking any...

I bought several other sponge filters and added to this tank... Figured it would give me extra filters for future tanks...

====
So I guess this is normal,,,
thats what I wanted to be sure of... Thanks so much

Do you just run the charcoal pouches on ur other tanks?

Chicklet
03-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm not really up to speed on all the proper names that goes with these filters yet... But anyways... My 10 & 20 gallons all have "Box's says" Aqua-Teck power filters with Bio-Fiber biological filtration and Aqua-Teck EZ-change # 1 & # 3 Filter cartridges..

In my 5 gallons and under all have mostly sponge filters.... (Sponge in front with a black strip behind the sponge).

I attached a couple pics.

Wild Turkey
03-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Anything that doesnt have carbon in it is fine to take a bit of media from. Doesnt sound like you are running just charcoal on anything (a good thing, it needs to be replacement, but the bacteria must be saved)

Chicklet
03-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Anything that doesnt have carbon in it is fine to take a bit of media from. Doesnt sound like you are running just charcoal on anything (a good thing, it needs to be replacement, but the bacteria must be saved)

Well on the plastic cover to the EZ-change filter cartridge it says
"Contains AQUA-Tech Premium Activated Carbon"

Then there is the thing they call the " Bio-Fiber" that goes in first and sits in front of the EZ-change filter cartridge.....

===
Does this mean I have a bad type of Power Filter?

Wild Turkey
03-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Well on the plastic cover to the EZ-change filter cartridge it says
"Contains AQUA-Tech Premium Activated Carbon"

Then there is the thing they call the " Bio-Fiber" that goes in first and sits in front of the EZ-change filter cartridge.....

===
Does this mean I have a bad type of Power Filter?

Yes the "EZ change" cartridges contain the carbon, you should be replacing them once a month if you arent already, or just replace them with sponges as well, your choice. You can cut a peice off of the bio-fiber, and that will work brilliantly for our purposes. Just add it to the new filter along with the sponges you got for it.

Northernguy
03-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Everytime you change a cartridge make sure you rub that crud from the old cartridge into the new to avoid any mini cycles.

Chicklet
03-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Yes the "EZ change" cartridges contain the carbon, you should be replacing them once a month if you arent already, or just replace them with sponges as well, your choice. You can cut a peice off of the bio-fiber, and that will work brilliantly for our purposes. Just add it to the new filter along with the sponges you got for it.

Forgive me for being slow here ok, Just wanting to make sure I'm reading this correctly..
Your saying I can throw out the Ez-change cartridges that contain the carbon and replace is by stuffing sponges down there in its place??
Then I wouldn't have to buy the Ez-change cartridges ever again?

Also, So the Bio wheel alone can hold enough bacteria needed to cycle a tank?

PostalPenguin
03-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Yes, using a sponge in place of carbon is a good idea. It will save you money and you wont have to worry about the carbon leaching stuff back into the water. It also makes medicating much easier since you wont have to cut open cartridges and take the carbon out like I did before I got my aquaclear. If you want the best HOB filter, in my opinion, get an AquaClear. It is pretty customizable and there are many options for media.

Wild Turkey
03-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Forgive me for being slow here ok, Just wanting to make sure I'm reading this correctly..
Your saying I can throw out the Ez-change cartridges that contain the carbon and replace is by stuffing sponges down there in its place??

Yup, carbon isnt needed all the time.

All types of media can hold bacteria, you dont want to chuck out the charcoal unless you leave the other media thats in the filter alone, so that you dont loose your cycle, a bio-wheel will hold enough bacteria to keep things decent while your new media(replaced the carbon) grows bacteria, so you should be fine.

Chicklet
03-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Oh wow this is kewl... Thats what I'll do then...
I was really nervous about touching any filter after it cycled,,
Now thanks to you all I think I understand alot more....
Glad we got some smart people around here to teach dummies like me...

Thanks wild Turkey for being patient with me.
and thanks to everyone else for all the info, I appreciate it!

Heliwyr
03-18-2009, 11:10 PM

Yeah that's what I did. Replaced the retarded cartridge with sponges. Just got one of those AquaClear 20gallon filter sponge packs and jammed all three of them in there with the original bio-filter floss on top. Works very nicely =).