PDA

View Full Version : Open top and goldfish?

labnjab
03-18-2009, 04:51 AM
Has anyone had a fancy goldfish jump? I haven't been able to get (or afford) a good top for our 75 and have been using ones from our old 55 which have a 6 inch gap in the back, but I'm just not liking the look.

I'd love to run open top (the light is a pc light with its own legs and splash shield) but wasn't sure if goldfish were known to jump. If anyones had an experience with them carpet surfing then I would get egg crate, but open top just looks so much more pleasing to the eye

Fishguy2727
03-18-2009, 05:11 AM
No problem with the round-bodieds. Long-bodieds are another story.
39MC9PeJwUI

bluebluecow
03-18-2009, 06:39 AM
I used to have a comet who would jump into my underware drawer but maybe it had a fetish.

The tank had a lid, but I sometimes left the lid off and when i did if my undy drawer was open thats where it would be

liz

Rue
03-18-2009, 04:12 PM
They certainly can jump, but I agree that the fancies are less likely too...hard for them to get up the speed required...

labnjab
03-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Thank you. I ended up taking the top off. I don't think they'll jump. Their not scared of anything and perfectly happy in their home:hmm3grin2orange:

evesta
03-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't have a top on my 55 gallon and no problems. My round bumbles are slow and not that motivated. Now, dangle some food up there and they might turn into Shamu:hmm3grin2orange:

labnjab
03-21-2009, 01:49 AM
I don't have a top on my 55 gallon and no problems. My round bumbles are slow and not that motivated. Now, dangle some food up there and they might turn into Shamu:hmm3grin2orange:

lol, I watched one the other day act like Shamu going after a small plant that was floating. I bet half its body was out of the water. No top is certainly easier as far as the daily replanting of the plants. I can't wait until they root themselves