PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a Goldfish

Kyle
03-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I have single goldfish (about 2") alone in a 55 gallon tank that I for some reason about 6 months ago added about 10 feeders to, all of them died within 2 weeks but this guy has done great. Problem is I'm going to be tearing down the tank and selling it but I dont know what to do with the goldfish. I dont want to take him to the petstore as I dont know what will become of him. I will probably put an add on craigslist for him but whos going to want a single used to be feeder fish? Is there any chance hed do alright in my 135g tropical tank? I'm thinking not but thought Id ask

ko4000
03-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Seeing as G fish are cold water putting him in a tropical community tank would not be ideal but it is possible. I got a large feeder in a batch of medium feeders I bought from LFS. He was too big for my GT to eat at that time so I left him in the 20 gallon for a while. He got over 4 inches so I dropped him in my buddies pond and he has been doing well for over a year.

Wild Turkey
03-17-2009, 10:27 PM
People say they do fine at tropical temps. I havent kept them in a very long time so i cant say, but i doubt they would suggest it if it wasnt possible. 135 is certainly big enough, so i would say it depends on the stock in the tank. Is there anything that might bully it, or it may eat? It is already well stocked? Goldfish are high waste producers.

Its likely the Goldfish is the sole surviver of the cycle establishment of you 55, unless you took other steps.

smaug
03-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Fishguy says they do ok at tropical temps,give it a try.

Red
03-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Why not try it? I keep a goldfish with a cray in 78 degrees and they both do fine..

Sharon
03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
I have a Fantail with tropicals...and the tank is overstocked. He and two others were on my patio all summer, and the other two died. this little guy seems quite happy at 76degrees and is thriving...There are all kinds of rules and theories, and some of them are bogus....

sid101
03-17-2009, 11:08 PM
It should be able to survive and do well in tropical aquariums, just adjust temperature to the lower end of the tropical scale temperatures.

Kyle
03-17-2009, 11:17 PM
my 135g has 3 bala (all under 3") those are my biggest fish in there, quite a few guppies, neons, school of tetras and some other random fish, its no where near fully stocked. Its warm in my townhouse and his water is around 74-75 anyways so the jump up to 78 in my tropical shouldnt be a big deal

Wild Turkey
03-17-2009, 11:20 PM
my 135g has 3 bala (all under 3") those are my biggest fish in there, quite a few guppies, neons, school of tetras and some other random fish, its no where near fully stocked. Its warm in my townhouse and his water is around 74-75 anyways so the jump up to 78 in my tropical shouldnt be a big deal

I agree, however depending on how large he grows he could be trouble for neons and other small fish eventually. How big is he now?

sid101
03-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Before throwing him in i would suggest you to do a slow and long acclimatization, try the drop method for about 2 hours those 2 or 3 degrees are a lot for him.

*Sarah*
03-18-2009, 12:39 AM
We gave a goldfish to my mom to put in her outdoor pond, and he's been fine for 3 years and counting :)

Wild Turkey
03-18-2009, 12:41 AM
We gave a goldfish to my mom to put in her outdoor pond, and he's been fine for 3 years and counting :)

A great solution and a common one for this problem. Most people end up finding a friend or a local lfs that has a big pond where the fish is just another spec in a huge water column, heaven.:hmm3grin2orange:

Kyle
03-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Yeah living in the city I dont know many with a pond, anyways the goldfish is at most 2" maybe more like 1 3/4"