PDA

View Full Version : Will my catfish get dizzy?

Sasquatch
02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
I have a question about my bumblebee catfish. He's in a 10g tank, planted with Hygrophila, has two decorative caves and there's also a piece of slate leaned against the glass in one corner of the tank. He shares it with 5 platies.

He seems to spend a lot of time up against the front glass of the aquarium swimming in circles. He loops around in a spiral, always staying in contact with the glass, works his way to one side of the aquarium, swims back to the other side and starts over again.

He can do this for hours. We thought he was looking for food, but when we added food he ignores it or only takes passing interest.

Is he just exploring or is this really abnormal?

Thanks for any help.

fishstix88
02-18-2007, 05:58 PM
how long have you had him?...my cories would sometimes do this when i first got them i wouldnt worry to much about it.

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2007, 05:58 PM
its normal.

My feeder goldfish did the same thing. He'd swim laps like a swimmer, and go to the left side, flip upside down to right side up, then right side, flip upside down to right side up then repeat unless there was food.

Dont they get dizzy??

Sasquatch
02-18-2007, 07:21 PM
He's been in the tank about a week now. He also did it while in quarantine (for 3 weeks) and it had calmed down. But it's started again since we moved him to the display tank.

Hopefully it'll calm down.

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2007, 07:29 PM
whats your temp?

Sasquatch
02-18-2007, 08:55 PM
It's stable at around 25-26c.

He seems to have calmed down today. Maybe the water change yesterday helped, maybe he's tired after a night of chasing platy fry.:1:

Typical, I write a post for advice and the problems resolves itself!

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2007, 09:08 PM
same. it goes away by itself! lol