PDA

View Full Version : Cowardly crayfish

jaysee
03-17-2009, 08:10 AM
I had origionally gotten 2 crayfish for my 29g but moved one to a 10g because they would always fight. The one in the big tank hides amongst the plants and driftwood and unsuccessfully hunts the corys and gouramis. The one in the 10g, on the otherhand, stays in his hiding spot almost all the time. The worst part is he's always in a defensive position. The only tank mates are 3 cherry barbs, 10 ghost shrimp and at the moment 5 snails. I'm trying to make more snails. It seems like the snails harrass him. I don't understand why he doesn't claim the whole tank. He used to burrow under and hide inside a statue when he was smaller and no longer fits in it, so maybe he's still adjusting to having a much larger hiding space?

My blue crayfish is about the size of an adult ghost shrimp, and he will fight both of my rams off of a pellet. But the rams force him into hiding when they are protecting eggs... I wonder how much longer that's gonna last.

bocrayfish
06-13-2009, 07:39 AM
ummm are u attached to your cherry barbs and shrimp cause those are gonners once your cray gets bigger im not sure about the timid cray were is his tank my cray was super afraid of any large orange objects just give him some time and he might adjust also make sure he isnt sick and there fore agitated ps DO YOUR REASERCH ON CRAY SICKNESS pps my only other thought is molting, if he stays like this for2 more days thats unlikely

HorrorShowRot
06-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Crayfish tend to hide. That is there way of actually catching there prey much like a crocodile with its mouth open. The crayfish I assume is hiding in either a cave or among rocks with its claws open. Its waiting for somthing to come by to eat it. That is my 2 cents. But also crayfish also have personalities. Also if theres noise even cars passing by with your windows open, it can scare them wich happened to mine. Hope this helps:)

Northernguy
06-13-2009, 04:51 PM
They are nocturnal!

jaysee
06-13-2009, 07:13 PM
That crayfish has since died.

Now I have the blue which is just gorgeous, a red and 5 dwarves in the mail.

They are nocturnal, but readily adjust to the day shift. Mine are out and about all day long. They are nocturnal by nature, so once they determine there are no threats in the tank they move about freely at any hour.

I like my barbs, but if he eats one so be it....I like him more.:hmm3grin2orange: IME they can only catch the young, the old and the sick. And the stupid.

HorrorShowRot
06-14-2009, 09:17 PM
So thats why my crayfish got pissed and started clawing at the tank when my lil bro was there. Hes stupid xD