PDA

View Full Version : new guppy

Gelo_USA
02-18-2007, 03:42 AM
I got 2 platys today (sorry messed up the thread name)
put them on the tank they are there for 4 hours FINE they ate they were swimming fine and now I turned all the lights off to go to sleep and I turned it on for a sec to check on them see if theyr still ok they are all on the bottom
do they do tht at night to rest or something? they look ok they are moving their fins like they would if they were swimming but theyr on the bottom
thnks

AquaQueen
02-18-2007, 03:51 AM
I don't have platy's, but alot of fish rest on the botom of the tank to sleep. So I would say they are sleeping...dont worry check them in the morning and you will know for sure if that's what they were doing. Good Luck!

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2007, 04:24 AM
most fish sleep at the bottom at a frontal angle.

I havnt seen my platys sleep, but platies are HARD to kill and youve gained alot of knowledge for a newcomer less than a month ago so im sure theyre fine.

Gelo_USA
02-18-2007, 05:43 AM
yea I just find it strange cause last time I put platys on my tank they acted like tht and all died but I didnt knw $#!T my thank wasnt cycled and I had tooooooooooo much ammonia on the water
I just tested for nitrites nitrates and amonia and ph and its all fine
amonia is zero nitrites is like .5 ph 6.5 nitrates like around 20 and water temperature is at 76 I reduced a little gradually over 2 days cause it was evaporating tooo much
but I think the tank might be overcrowded I have 3 black tetra 3 platys 2 catfish and one angel but all my fish are small like one inch only one tetra is like one and a half and the angel is big I had one platy tht was fine until I added this 2 new now all the fish are fine but the 3 platys are on the bottom of the tank but they dont seem stressed or anything they seem normal I hope they are just sleeping

Chrona
02-18-2007, 05:46 AM
76 is a good temp. New fish are already stressed, so when the lights go out, they take a nap. Its perfectly normal. I'd do a partial water change in a few days too.

Gelo_USA
02-18-2007, 05:50 AM
ohhh k they are not gonna be in the 10g for too long anyways
as soon as my 40 g is ready I will transfer all of them to the 40g and leave the 10g empty for now I have no plans for it

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2007, 05:54 AM
yeah, fish get stressed and when theyre stressed they sleep it off like humans ( they dont need to sleep off hangovers though! lol)

As for the 10g, consider just puting plants in it, or fry tank, breeding tank, or you can put java moss in it, its a easily growing plant, and you can sell all the extra that grows, or just put ghost shrimp in the tank

Gelo_USA
02-18-2007, 06:09 AM
I was thinking about hammsters LOL
i used to have 2 like 3 years ago but they died after liek 2 years then I gave all the stuff to my brother and he has hammsters since then but they seem to last about 1 year and a half to 2 years and die
i dnt knw what kind we had its a grey one LOL
or I will just keep it empty in case of an emergency on my big tank

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2007, 06:14 AM
youll actually want to keep the 10g as a quarantine or hospital tank.

Quarantine is when you buy a new fish, you stick em in the 10g for a week so if they are sick, the disease wont spread to the main tank (your 40g)

hospital is just often bare bodomed with small fake plants and a cave to make the fish feel secure.

Glasstapper
02-18-2007, 07:00 AM
lol, I freaked out too the first time I saw my fish on the bottom at night. It was my very first fish, which were some bleeding heart tetras. I turned the light on in the middle of the night to check on them (I was cycling with them because silly me didn't know about fishless cycling at the time) like a worry-wart. I saw they were faded and just sitting on the bottom. I totally freaked out and started doing a water change right then and there. I'm sure they were quite upset with me. Come to find out, they were only sleeping. I felt very silly. I had no idea that fish slept.

Also, the first time I saw my fish poop, I thought they had worms because I had never seen fish poop before and didn't think that you would be able to see it. LOL.

It's ok, everyone. You can point and laugh at me. LOL I admit, I guess I thought the poop was supposed to be invisible or something magical that you didn't see. Boy did cichlids ever prove ME wrong! Those guys poop almost as much as goldfish!

Gelo_USA
02-18-2007, 05:12 PM
LOL
yea they are fine I had the light on since I woke up and they are swimming with the TETRA weird LOL they are all swimming together I guess they feel safer with the tetra I dnt knw cause my angel was nipping at them for the first few minutes yesterday
and now as soon as i turn lights off for like 5 minutes they all go to the bottom so I guess they are just lazy fish LOL always ready for a nap:hmm3grin2orange:]
just in case I checked the water again
AMONIA 0
Nitrites .5
nitrates are a little higher 30
ph 6.5
and temperature is at 78 I raised again they seem better when its hotter so I will keep it at 78

Chrona
02-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Wow, your nitrates are going up pretty quickly. I'd do a water change sometime soon

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2007, 06:03 PM
i crapped myself because honey gouramis get that brown stripe when stressed, and my fist day i was like SH*T, its dying, so i was hunting down meds, and thought it cant really be a disease. Now, the honey is fine, and its normal i guess at first to have that brown stripe under stress