PDA

View Full Version : substrate for goldfish and cory

twister_hmg
03-16-2009, 04:50 AM
please help. i got 2 gold fish in my tank. im using gravel as a substrate. i want to add corys to my fish collection. the problem is we all know that we should use sand as substrate for corys since they will loss their barbels if we are using rough substrate. if i use a sand substrate, will there be problems with the gold fish poops and its messiness. please give me an advice.

cocoa_pleco
03-16-2009, 04:51 AM
i would first fix the stocking, goldfish are coldwater and cories are not, they cant be mixed

twister_hmg
03-16-2009, 04:53 AM
ic, thanks. :)

Mvjnz
03-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Golfish are not coldwater, they are fine in tropical temps.

Sand is fine for goldfish.

Sharon
03-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Some species of Cories will do fine in cooler water...Pandas prefer cooler temps than some. Research the temps and it should be fine...

Wild Turkey
03-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Some species of Cories will do fine in cooler water...Pandas prefer cooler temps than some. Research the temps and it should be fine...

Agreed. Regardless of how you feel about goldfish's temp range there is a species of cory that can go with them.

Sand is great for corys, most types of aqua-soil are okay too.

Fishguy2727
03-16-2009, 03:29 PM
What size tank?
What type of goldfish?
What species of cory?
What is the current temp?

Sand is fine for goldfish. I have found that it is actually the ideal substrate for them.

In my experience smooth gravel that is kept clean is fine for cories.

Not all sands are created equal. A lot of people have concerns about sand and those concerns, which are based on real risks, have more to do with the type of sand than it just being sand in general.

MrJim
03-16-2009, 03:35 PM
When I changed over to sand I wondered how my GF would adapt~I did it for my corys. My GF like to pick up the small stones and spit them out so I wondered if she would swallow the sand. Now she plows through the sand, takes mouthfuls and spits it out, and my wife said she's seen a "sand moustache" on the GF on occasion:hmm3grin2orange: It's been working out fine except when I get sand jamming the filter (I think the GF has seen "Finding Nemo" too many times:ssuprised: ).

Fishguy2727
03-16-2009, 03:47 PM
How close to the sand is the filter's intake?

MrJim
03-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Right now there's a piece a slate about 2" from the intake. I'd like to make the intake a bit shorter but the AC design doesn't allow it unless I guess ya chop off some of the bottom cone. Since I put the slate under it there hasn't been another incident.

Check this thread (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=39791), didn't mean to derail this one