PDA

View Full Version : Sailfin Pleco question

umdaquarist09
03-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Do sailfin plecos have the ability to change their color to blend in to a nearby rock or piece of wood? I just came back from a vacation and my pleco is stuck upside under a rock and either something is wrong with him or his color is changing to resemble the rock. The coloration is kind splotchy in that it is not covering his entire body, but it does kind of resemble the color of the rock he is on.

Oscar_freak12321
04-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes in fact they can. Common and Sailfin plecoes use this the most out of the plecostomus family and I think that your pleco is perfectly fine and perfectly happy.

fraggle
04-20-2009, 07:52 AM
The can get "splotchy" patches on them that are like stress bars. My guy get the bits that are like paler stripes going through him when he's hassled by my Oscar, or my kids bang on the tank and scare him.

Gayle
04-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah mine changes color a bit, from darker to lighter. He blends in very well when he wants too, LOL. He gets a bit pale looking when he gets spooked, and he gets very dark when he gets his favorite treats.

abaigael04
04-20-2009, 10:58 PM
mine changes sometimes but not dramatically, I would bet it is the stress bars, too. Some of mine (the shy ones) get it just from me looking at them to closely! :ssmile:

smaug
04-20-2009, 11:06 PM
My sailfin does the same thing.