PDA

View Full Version : Missing Crayfish

umdaquarist09
03-16-2009, 12:52 AM
So I just got back from a four day vacation and I can't seem to find my crayfish. My roomate who was watching the tanks said he saw him earlier today or maybe yesterday at the latest, but he is nowhere to be seen in the tank or around my room. Do crayfish ever bury themselves in the substrate?

umdaquarist09
03-16-2009, 01:06 AM
I guess another possibility is that the crayfish was eaten by his fishy neighbors. He was in a tank with 3 angels, sailfin pleco, large male convict, 1 blue gourami, and 2 yellow labs.

If he was eaten it was probably the convict and pleco I would guess, and they didnt leave a trace of him left!

Dave66
03-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Have you looked around behind the tank and in the aquarium area? Crayfish are consummate escape artists, and more than one aquarium keeper have found a dried up, dead crayfish on the floor.

Dave

umdaquarist09
03-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Yea I basically looked around on the ground in the entire room and didn't see him. I was flipping through some old posts in the crayfish and one talked about a member whose crayfish went MIA for a while and reappeared a few months later and was living in a tunnel in the sand. I guess that is a possibility but I should probably prepare to find a stinky dried up crawdad sometime soon.