PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying cichlid

Macleod52
03-15-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm trying to figure out what species of Cichild I have. I believe it is a Neolamprologus leleupi, but I'm not 100% positive. The local fish store said "rare orange ---" I can't remember the last word. As far as how rare they are, I'm not really sure. They may just be rare around my area. I don't have any pics right now, but from what I can tell it looks very similar to the Neolamprologus leleupi.

If anyone has any Ideas please let me know. I will try calling them tomorrow, but I wanted to know today. Thanks.

Deleted User
03-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I pic would really help to ID your fish have you got one?

toddnbecka
03-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Google leleupi and check the images files? Not too many orange Tang cichlids, possibly an uncommon strain that's a particular shade of orange. Incidentally, all the orange color morphs are the results of selective breeding, not found in the wild.

Macleod52
03-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Well I finally got back to the fish store (needed food) and I found out that the cichlids I bought were Neolamprologus leleupi. They call them Orange Lamp cichlids. Is there a reason why I can't find very much info on the common name "orange lamp?" Do people just start making up names, or is it not a common name used?

toddnbecka
03-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Never heard them called that, but there's plenty of info available on leleupi.

Macleod52
03-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Actually, I guess there's more than on Leleupi species. It may actually be Lamprologus Leleupi. On the tank it only said Rare Orange Lamp Leleupi. I could easily see how this could be the species. Also, I can't really find much info on Lamprologus. I'm mainly finding info on Neolamprologus.

toddnbecka
03-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Whether it's called Lamp or Neolamp it's still the same species of leleupi, just depends on how accurately the seller ID's the fish. Generally they're rather nasty toward their own species, and rather rough on shellies as well. They do mix well enough with calvus or comp's, most species of Julies, and some of the other mid-size Tang cichlids less commonly available.

Macleod52
03-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Thank you very much for clarifying the species for me. Do you know if there is a common name for the orange variety of this species? The reason I ask is that I'm keeping a spreadsheet with all of the different kinds of fish I have and I want the common name as well as the scientific name. For the orange variety (mine has no black markings whatsoever, they are a solid orange) are they commonly called Firecrackers and Dutch Orange? Are they "rare" as my LFS states, or maybe just rare to my area?

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

toddnbecka
03-28-2009, 11:59 PM
The problem with common names is that there's no scientific basis for them. Rare is a relative term, also with no solid informative foundation. You may have an uncommon color variety, but the species in general is not a rare fish.