PDA

View Full Version : Upsidedown Jellyfish

sid101
03-15-2009, 09:13 PM
I have been researching about this amazing creature and i would like to have one in my reef tank, i have saw some pretty nice reviews about the jellyfish in reef aquariums but i would like to have some other aquarists perspective.

ZCciVic22
03-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I've read breifly on them... All I remember is you have to be very careful of corners in the tank, as the jellyfish can get stuck there. Also, you have to have more of a sideways current for the fish to follow. Not sure if this minimial info helps in any way tho lol. It would be really neat to have one! Hope it works out!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-15-2009, 09:35 PM
There are a couple of different species of Upside-down Jellyfish. Their tank requirements and care are alike. Here is what Ronald L. Shimek Ph.D has to say about them.

Lighting:
"Bright illumination is necessary."
Foods & Feeding:
"Zooxanthellate; can subsist for long periods without feeding if dissolved nutrient level is high. Feeds on small planktonic animals, such as Artemia or Mysis, or feeder fishes like mollies."

Aquarium Suitability/Reef Aquarium Compatibility :
"Not a good community member; can sting and kill other animals. It has nematocysts and may be toxic to humans."

Captive Care:
"This is a bizarre, unusual, and very interesting animal that will do best in its own tank. It needs an aquarium with a good sand bed and little current. Overflow apertures and overflow boxes should be well screened. Scyphozoans, such as this, have an alternation of generations, with a hydroidlike polyp as on stage and a swimming medusa the other. If polyps become estalished they reproduce asexually and become a nuisance."
A PocketExpert Guide: Marine Invertebrates - Ronald L. Shimek Ph.D

One addition that should be made, is that all Jellyfish should be kept in cylindrical aquariums to avoid being stuck in corners.

In short, avoid them.