PDA

View Full Version : Siamsese Fighting Fish

kaimarkhirst
03-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi,

Last night while fighting for territory, the largest golden gaurami has really stuck it to the fighter and the larger fins are all chewed up pretty badly.

Theyve been separated in the tank, but it looks like the fighter is in a bad way and is swimming at the top of the tank. In the process of moving the goldens out of the tank altogether.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to alleviate teh issue in the short term until I am able to move the gauramis out?

Will the fins grow back, and what further damage could this attack have done?

Thanks for your input,

Kai

Lady Hobbs
03-15-2009, 02:04 PM
This is the reason Betta's should have their own tank. Either another fish attacks those fins of his, or he attacks. The fins will grow back and not too much damaged and Melafix will help. But these fish do not belong together.

Sharon
03-15-2009, 02:08 PM
There is no way to alleviate the problem...you need to seperate them. Gouramis and Bettas don't do well together, and this usually results in disaster. What size is the tank? The Betta may die if he's really badly damaged...not to mention the stress. He will need his own tank( a 5gal will be fine), super clean water, and Melafix wouldn't hurt....half dosage for Bettas. If you have no 5gal tank, a large bowl ( with heater)is better than where he is now....

kaimarkhirst
03-15-2009, 02:08 PM
cant really believe this, as I specifically asked about gouramis and the relationship to bettas, and was specifcically told that there would nto be a problem.

Ive just been reading now, that you really should stick to females, adn since ive now got 1 male and 2 females, Ill have to look at putting the bettas into at the 6 ft tank.

regards

Kai

Slow Cheetah
03-16-2009, 12:36 AM
hmm sounds like you got jipped by the typical local fish store salesman saying what you want to hear to get a sale.

dont worry. i used to do the same thing.

kaimarkhirst
03-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, just an update.

Large golden gourami was removed from tank and given to a neighbour. Bullet (our Blue Betta) is now growing back his fins and this week got 3 females to keep him company. Mrs 'Green' Betta is his favourite so far (occasionally says hello to the Mrs 'Red' and Mrs 'Purple' too) and the remaining golden gourami leaves him well alone. Got a happy tank at last.

Thanks for your help though, much appreciated.