PDA

View Full Version : Should I add Angels?

*Sarah*
02-17-2007, 04:23 PM
I have a 40g tall community tank with mollies, neons, guppies, platys...would it be possible to put Angelfish in if I get tiny babies? I heard that neons and angels aren't compatible, but I wonder if the angels grew up with them if they would be good together? Thanks :)

Chrona
02-17-2007, 04:25 PM
If you buy the angel as a tiny baby (like nickel sized) and they grow up together, then the angel will not see them as a food source. I bought a nickel sized one for my 10 gallon along with some 1/2 inch cardinal tetras, and in the first few days, I noticed he would try to catch them at night, but they were always too fast. After a week, he didn't bother them anymore. Of course, now the tables have changed and my cardinals will nip at the angel...lol

And no, unless you have a lot of java moss, the angel will still eat the fry. They are just too small. My angel probably ate like 5 or so fry before I saw my guppy was giving birth and grabbed a net. What I'm trying now is using a clear plexiglass divider in a corner to seperate the fry and the angel in the same tank, so that they are used to each others presence. Hopefully, this will mean the angel won't see them as a food source when I release them into the tank in a few weeks.

*Sarah*
02-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking about getting little nickel sized ones and hope they won't be aggressive (or nipped on too much) when they're older. I don't mind the angels eating platy or guppy fry, in fact, that's a plus really. The tank that I'm in the process of cycling won't hold the angels, that one will have just guppies and maybe some kind of small loach to tidy up. The angels will go into my 40gal, and I'll be feeding some of the guppy fry from my 10 to the fish in the 40 gal...thats where the angels come in :)
Also, the tank just looks too empty with only small fish like mollies, platys, guppies and neons in it, it needs a bigger type of fish.

Chrona
02-17-2007, 04:38 PM
What about a dwarf gourami?

*Sarah*
02-17-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm really paranoid about Gourami's now, since my 2 just died. Also, I don't think that they would be big enough to give the look I want. I have so many small, colourful fish, that some black and white would look good in there.

Lady Hobbs
02-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Mine are with neons but I have a larger angel alone in a 30 gallon I could not trust with them. Angels grow to 5-6 inches very fast and require "at least" 10 gallons each...perferably 15 gallons.

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 05:16 PM
my angel in my community tank was great. I had it since it was a baby, and it didnt eat any small fish, not even guppy fry when it was adult

*Sarah*
02-17-2007, 05:35 PM
well, it may sound mean, but to be honest, I wouldn't exactly CRY if my neons became lunch. Not that I dont' like them, b/c I do, but they aren't the most exciting fish in my tank.

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 05:41 PM
same. I put neons in cichlid tanks sometimes, and the neons dont get eaten.
They can fend for themselves

Gelo_USA
02-18-2007, 06:36 AM
I have my angel with platys and black tetras
at first it would chase the tetra (i had only one tetra) now I have 3 tetra and the angel just gave up on chasin them I think because now they are in a group

Nautilus291
02-18-2007, 06:57 AM
I have a 40g tall community tank with mollies, neons, guppies, platys...would it be possible to put Angelfish in if I get tiny babies? I heard that neons and angels aren't compatible, but I wonder if the angels grew up with them if they would be good together? Thanks :)

What is your ph in that tank? I know tetras like acidic water and livebearers like alkaline water. I heard of people having it work out but if you have a high ph and you neons seem lethargic(if thats how you spell it) then maybe you should check into that.

*Sarah*
02-18-2007, 03:49 PM
My neons aren't lethargic at all. They seem pretty happy and they like to swim around in their group (10 of them). I got them in my city, so they were likely raised in the same type of water I have. The Ph is pretty high in my tank, but everyone seems happy and healthy.

I'm gonna go get a couple of angel babies today :)

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2007, 05:57 PM
large groups avoid fin nipping.

My krib always pis*ed off my auratus, though kribs are supposedly peaceful and auratus deadly (my auratus just attacks MY fingers), and the krib would chase nonstop. Now, its just meh, and they get along

Chrona
02-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Technically Neons and angels all like acidic water, because that is their natural environment, but nowadays, they are all bred locally, where the water is often closer to neutral or alkaline. So unless you got wild-caught neons (which I highly doubt) they should do just fine. And livebearers should do just fine in neutral water. They just don't like acidic water, so anything 7 pH or above is fine. My guppies and guppy fry are in 6.7-6.8 and they do just fine

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2007, 06:14 PM
yeah, the reason my krib from the rifts of malawi, lamp. brichardi from tanganyika, and auratus from malawi get along is the shops had them at a ph of 7.5 and they were accustomed to that ph, and the fish dont attack eachother, so its like a party!

All i need is a victoria cichlid, and it'll be a full house

*Sarah*
02-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Well, the LFS had 3 Angels for $20 so I got 3 of them. They had a tank of Nickle sized ones, but there were a couple dead in there and they'd gotten them in THursday...possibly dead from stress, but I didn't want to risk it. So, I got some that were a bit bigger, but still not huge by any means. They seem to be doing well so far, just swimming around checking out the tank, and my Neons don't seem to be having anything to do with them yet.

Gelo_USA
02-26-2007, 03:06 PM
ok stupid question but I didnt want to open a new thread for it
so angels school together right?...

when I add new fish to my tank the angel alwaysss chase them for the first few hours then he gets used and stops

my angel is about 4 1/2 inches now if add small angels u guys think I would have problems or they would stay together.....

btw.... sarahmom u got 3 angels for 20$... where do u live? thts pretty expensive or they were big?
at petco in NY/NY the one I go most of the times they have angels for 3.90 something around 1inch in size

*Sarah*
02-26-2007, 03:20 PM
ok stupid question but I didnt want to open a new thread for it
so angels school together right?...

when I add new fish to my tank the angel alwaysss chase them for the first few hours then he gets used and stops

my angel is about 4 1/2 inches now if add small angels u guys think I would have problems or they would stay together.....

btw.... sarahmom u got 3 angels for 20$... where do u live? thts pretty expensive or they were big?
at petco in NY/NY the one I go most of the times they have angels for 3.90 something around 1inch in size

Hey, I'm in Canada, so our dollar isn't worth as much as yours, so everything is more expensive in our dollar. Also, they were about 2-3 inches, so a bit bigger.

Lady Hobbs
02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Angels are not skoaling fish but are social fish. They do best when kept only with other angels and can form their own communities. Often they don't work in a community tank due to the speed of their growth, how often they spawn (about every 20 days) and the mass amount of eggs they lay each time. They also get very territorial at spawning and will kill other fish. They are a cichlid and act like a cichlid when they need to.

I have 4 inch juvies that were dime sized 4 months ago! Another important factor with angels is their water needs to always be 80-82 degrees. Many community fish can't tolerate high temps on a daily basis. Tetra's, for instance, should have cooler temps or they will loss their color. I am not concerned with their pH nearly as much as with their water temps.

Angels are not something you simple add to your tank but are a fish that you need to work at having as their own species. They should be the primary fish in your tank and if you do need to add fish to "their" tank, it should be fish that can live well in high temps. Not fish that can "tolerate" high temps but fish that will live well in it.

Each angel fish in a tank should have 10 to 15 gallons of water. And since they are cichlids, require VERY clean tanks with large water changes. Nothing says they will get along with other fish in the tank as well. I have one in a 30 gallon alone that hates everything. He has rasbora's with him only because he can't catch them.

There are many reasons why they are not suitable for community tanks and another being that they are susceptible to diseases that other community fish may bring to them. They are not an "add on" fish but a primary fish.

Gelo_USA
02-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey, I'm in Canada, so our dollar isn't worth as much as yours, so everything is more expensive in our dollar. Also, they were about 2-3 inches, so a bit bigger.

ohhh ok....

and thanks hobbs for making it clear for me... so I think I wont add more angels I was just thinking about adding more cause the bigger black tetra I have (about 2 1/2 inch) is always trying to nip on my angel's fins but I never saw him actually DOING it cause the angel scares him off but the tetra keeps comming back so I tought if I added another angel they would be together and the tetra would leave them alone

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2007, 01:47 AM
The tetra would just have two angels to nip at. LOL Fish are so strange. My tetra's didn't bother my angels at all but my big one sure did them. But then, that's the angel that likes nothing or no one. LOL

He really is a beautiful fish and I so wish I could put him with the others. I feel he must get lonely but he "blows it" every time I try to put them together so he gets punished and sent back to his own pad every time.

Here's a pic of him.

Gelo_USA
02-27-2007, 03:48 AM
when I had one angel and one tetra the angel would be nipping the tetra so I got 2 tetras and now angel doenst bother with them anymore.... but the first tetra I have is getting his revenge now.... lol.....
but he never get to nip angels fins cause the angel just turns around and the tetra gets scared and swin away

Juannie
03-02-2007, 03:09 AM
I've had both sm and large angels in with tetras, bala sharks, gouramis and so on, they all got on fine, the angels weren't aggressive even tho everyone would say they are, i guess it's trial and error. GOOD LUCK.

Chrona
03-02-2007, 03:11 AM
The tetra would just have two angels to nip at. LOL Fish are so strange. My tetra's didn't bother my angels at all but my big one sure did them. But then, that's the angel that likes nothing or no one. LOL

He really is a beautiful fish and I so wish I could put him with the others. I feel he must get lonely but he "blows it" every time I try to put them together so he gets punished and sent back to his own pad every time.

Here's a pic of him.

Hey hobbs, what kind of angel is that? I have the exact same kind, but I can't find what it is. I thought it was the half black angelfish I posted before, but the rear end doesn't look exactly the same.

Gelo_USA
03-02-2007, 03:43 AM
wow..... beautiful angel hobbs.....thumbs2:

gonogm
04-08-2007, 12:25 PM

here in Philippines, angels are cheap, 2.5in cost about .50 US dollars and sometimes less.

dave mand
04-08-2007, 01:05 PM
along with cardinal/neon tetras my aultums never bother them even when they have eggs.
These are full grown adult angels and were added when they were 4cm,The tetras were aprox 2cm but they were already there.
Think if I added the angels first it would have been very diferent story though.

TracyUK
04-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I have possibly the oddest combination of angel and other fish in my tank!

Meet Angel and Lava
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/leanne0512/DSCF1233-1.jpg

Lady Hobbs
04-18-2007, 10:45 PM
I can't get your combination and things can suddenly change with that odd couple. Oscars are dirty fish and can sully the water very quickly while angels need very clean water. Angels need temps of 80-82 and oscars are more little mid range (74-78). It's the fact that they are prone to HITH alone that would be a worry to me. Fish that are prone to illness should also not be with angels which is why community tanks are not recommended for them.

Apparently for you it's working but you have got to have the exception to the rule.

TracyUK
04-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Lady Hobbs, I hope it stays that way too! :-)

jfd
05-16-2007, 01:25 PM
would rainbows work--they are bigger and come in all sorts of colors

Lady Hobbs
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Rainbows are awesome. I've been wanting some neon rainbows myself. They stay smaller than the others and are skoalers.