PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Hygrophila

Sasquatch
02-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Hey all.

In the quest for perfection, I've decided to try and improve the looks of the plants in my aquarium. I have a 10g tank which has about 15 stems of Hygrophila polysperma in it. Water conditions are good and we supplement with a mineral fertilizer (Nutrafin Plant Gro).

There are two problems that I'm hoping to resolve.

1. When we introduced the plants, we had salt in the water. We have since removed the salt, but the damage seems to have been done. The original leaves are dying slowly, covered with algae and are getting nibbled by our platies. There has been some growth at the top of the stems and some leaves/stems are sprouting on the bottom, but the mid levels are full of ugly, dying leaves.

If I trim off the dying leaves, will new leaves grow back? But before answering, see #2.

2. I only have a 10g and Hygrophila can get pretty tall. A good part of the new growth that has happened on the top of the stems is at or above the surface of the water. Can I trim these off and replant them? Will they grow roots and establish themselves? If I trim the tops, will the lower levels (which aren't in great condition) be ok?

Thanks for any answers.

Lady Hobbs
02-17-2007, 05:10 PM
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Decor%20Hygrophila.htm

I don't know if this will help but it may answer.